Thread: End of 2021 log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friday 12/10/2021

Squat 205x5x3
    Deadlift 365x5
    Pulldown 172.5x10x3

Had the "agility" test today. 17 points out of 20, passing grade was 12. Scored 5/5 on grip strength and flexibility, 4/5 on pushups, and 3/5 on the cardio thing, despite having to wear a mask. Overall pretty good. The police academy people administering the tests seemed impressed.

Might be my last training session for a while today, depends on how angry I am when monday comes around. Light squats were...light squats. Focused on keeping the form together and trying to make sure my left leg was doing its part. I think doing these without the sleeves is turning out to be the right call. I didn't come up as fast as I could this time around out of the hole, and my knee bothered me a lot less. But I think putting some level of stress on those knee components that the sleeves mitigate is helping to improve the health of that area. Deadlifts at 365 had the slightest hint of grind on the last rep, unlike the last time I did them. I think these MAY have one more 10 pound jump left before I need to slow it down to 5.

Great news on the test results, CommanderFun!

Monday 12/13/2021

Bench 205x5x3
    Press 130x5x3
    Bike 30 second intervals/30 second restx3, intensity 16

No weigh-in today. Forgot to do it this morning. Was great to see everyone at the gym just not wearing masks despite the governor's new mandate. The staff couldn't have enforced it if they had tried. Just did a repeat of last monday since I did the light day thursday and had that physical exam friday. Of course, today, I received an email notification that I was rejected entirely because of my keratoconus, which really brought an end to me enjoying my night. I don't know what I'm going to do next. I could try talking to my boss about it, but I don't know if he can do anything.

Tuesday 12/14/2021

Squat 255x5x3
    Power Clean 135x3x4
    Pulldown 175x10x3

Was really bummed out today, but still got in there and did my fucking squats. Refrained from tightening my shoe up too much, and the knee didn't build up too much pain by the end. Little by little I think the irritation is getting better. This programming seems to be ideal to keep it from blowing up on me. Power cleans started to feel a bit heavy. Time to lower the jumps to 5s I think. Pulldowns got a little hard toward the end there. Might be looking at a limited time left of advancing 10s before I move down to 8s.

Wednesday 12/15/2021

Weigh-in: 280 pounds

Just popping in for a weigh-in today since I've forgotten to do it two mornings in a row. Little heavy it seems. I'll pull it back a tiny bit the rest of the week.

Thursday 12/16/2021

Had a bit of a COVID scare today, did not visit the gym. I had some kind of god awful fever last night, but spent the day resting and whatever I was sick with appears to have fucked off. Girlfriend had it too. She got a COVID test at an urgent care place after a 4 hour fucking wait, I tried my luck with one of the take home test kits. Both negative. Don't know what that was, but it was weird as hell and all the symptoms I had are listed as COVID symptoms. I will probably feel 100% by tomorrow morning when I call my boss to let him know the test was negative. Anyway, I started to get an itch in my brain from not lifting today, so I did a little work up to a seated press at 135 pounds for a set of 5 in my basement. Not really part of the program, but I wanted to do something. I expect to be going into the gym and lifting as normal tomorrow.

Friday 12/17/2021

Squat 210x5x3
    Deadlift 375x5
    Pulldown 177.5x10x3

Good hard deadlift. 5 pounds up next time.

Monday 12/20/2021

Weigh-in: 279.2 pounds

Bench 205x5x3
    Press 130x5x3
    Bike 30 second intervals/30 second restx3, intensity 16

Not really any change in how this workout felt compared to the last 2 times I've run it thanks to missing upper body days. The first press set was surprisingly smooth. But the next two felt like they had pathing issues. It might just be pre-fatigue from the bench work. I know doing them both heavy back to back like this is not really ideal.

Tuesday 12/21/2021

Squat 260x5x3
    Power Clean 140x3x4
    Pulldown 180x10x3

Terrible day today. The bad news I've been dreading for a week came. Anyway, still went in to lift, because at least hard work still pays off in the gym. Despite the stress, I hit my squats and they felt great. No knee pain. Sped up the descent a little on sets 2 and 3 since I think doing it slow on set 1 took a lot more out of me than it should have. No pain manifested, so I'll try to keep this tempo up in the future for my heavy day. I'll keep doing the light day on the slow side though, because I think it's been helping.

Power cleans were inconsistent, but no missed reps. Pulldowns are creeping up in difficulty. I'm gonna try moving up to 182.5 on friday anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 12/23/2021

Bench 210x5x3
    Press 132.5x5x3
    Bike 30 second intervals/30 second restx3. intensity 16

Bench was pretty good. Was surprised by the press, the third set actually felt better than the second. Finally moving up to 135 again next week.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast