Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of 2021 log

Default End of 2021 log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My Log History (good, bad, and ugly)

LP Reboot (8/17/2020-10/31/2020)
    Late 2020 Texas Method Run (11/05/2020-12/12/2020)
    Cutting log (1/4/2021-3/26/2021)
    NLP 3: The Search for Spock(3/29/2021-5/21/2021)
    My First Intermediate Log(5/24/2021-9/24/2021)
    Cutting Log (9/27/2021-11/14/2021)

I'll be starting this up just for a short run of progress (hopefully) at the end of this year. Coming off a short cut, I'm going to be running a 4 day upper/lower novice variant to begin with. On upper days I'll do some rower intervals to keep up some conditioning, and on lower days I'll be working on my pulldowns. As I get more acclimated and I get a little more recharged after cutting weight, I'll move it to a heavy/light intermediate program instead. I'm only planning to do this until the end of the year, I still do not really like where my weight is at now and will probably go on a longer cut starting in january. I'll still be weighing myself every monday during this process though, as I'm also trying to calibrate a diet that'll facilitate strength gains but minimize bodyweight gain. It always feels like I only gain strength by adding a roughly equivalent amount of bodyweight, which is really not what I want.

Monday 11/15/2021

Weigh-In: 275 pounds

Bench 200x5x3
    Press 120x5x3
    Rower 30 second intervals/30 second rest x4

It's weird how hard to lifts felt today, particularly the bench. These aren't terribly higher than what I was doing for higher rep sets just a week ago. Hopefully it's just because I was adapted to the longer sets and need to get reacquainted with the 5s. After all, my first week of the higher rep work ended up being a rude awakening too. didn't help the bar I was benching with was bent. That angry girl who does the sumo stance rack pulls is on a quest to fuck up every good bar in the place, it seems.

I usually like to strict press for any kind of volume work, but I think I'll just being doing the 2.0 for everything. It's good to get the practice. The hip bounce gives you a more powerful press but also adds the technique challenge of keeping a good bar path while all the quick movement is being coordinated together, which calls for being practiced.

Several people over the years as reported on this forum have found ways to lose weight while gaining strength. My friend, Karl Schudt, has done if quite successfully. You may wish to look him up. I think he still posts in the Competitive section.

I dunno. I've found I don't gain strength while losing weight. It just doesn't happen. Maybe if I cut at a slower rate I could, but cutting is something I just like to get over with and move on. Productive training for me always requires a lot of food. In fact, every time my training progress flattens out seems to be right around the same time my weight gain flattens out.

Tuesday 11/16/2021

Squat 220x5x3
    Deadlift 315x5
    Pulldown 155x12x3

First squat session with my new sleeves. They're a size smaller than what I've been wearing, and they seemt o do the job real nicely. No knee pain today. I've also widened my stance a bit. It's really hard for me to figure this out for some reason, probably because of how long my legs are.

Thursday 11/18/2021

Bench 205x5x3
    Press 125x5x3
    Rower 30 second intervals/30 second rest x4

Strength must be coming back fairly fast, because 5 pounds heavier today really felt identical to 5 pounds less on monday.

Friday 11/19/2021

Squat 230x5x3
    Deadlift 335x5
    Pulldowns 157.5x12x3

Ambitious jump on the deadlift. But I'm pretty sure this is a double overhand PR. Squats went pretty good. I think the conditioning is helping, because I feel a lot less broken down after a set.

Monday 11/22/2021

Weigh-In: 275.8 pounds

Bench 210x5x3
    Press 130x5x3

Omitted the rower today. Bad decision made in the moment. Both lifts were very hard grinds today, feels like even slowing to 2.5 pound jumps will lead to failure in probably two more sessions. I thought maybe the conditioning was slowing me down, but with a clearer head while not training I think I just started high along with aggressive jumps. I thought maybe I'd recover my old strength fast but I guess that's not gonna happen. I'll cut these both down by about 10%, work back up to these weights by 5 pounds again, and after that move to 2.5. Hopefully it'll give a little more room to improve. It also feels kind of weird, like I'm not able to access my strength. It's like the muscles are just shutting down without actually reaching a point of high fatigue.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 11-23-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Tuesday 11/23/2021

Squat 235x5x3
    Deadlift 350x5
    Pulldown 160x12x3

Trying hard to master that left knee and keep it under control. I think there's a bit of a twist going on in the shinbones, probably from how I got accustomed to holding my foot after I injured it in high school. I chopped off the jumps down to 5s, to avoid running into the spot I'm in with my presses. Actively reversing the slight rotation seems to keep the knee pain from being an issue. Gonna bring the belt next time. I'm feeling that point where the back is having a bit of a struggle and the angle is closing up slightly out of the hole.

350 deadlift was fairly hard. Slight bit of grind on the last rep. Only a light hint of it, though. Gonna drop it down to 5 pound jumps from this point on also. I got a bit too cocky after that 335 work set with a double overhand grip. It felt pretty easy.

Pulldowns were pulldowns. Last rep of set 3 wasn't a deadly grind, but it was pretty tough. Think I'll move down to 10s for the next time.

In the interest of using Thanksgiving as a recovery day, and to not deal with reduced holiday gym hours, I'll be going ahead and hitting my next upper body session tomorrow after work.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 11/24/2021

Bench 190x5x3
    Press 115x5x3
    Rower 30 second intervals/30 second rest x3, max intensity

Went through with the back off. The lifts felt heavy, but no grinding. Going down by one interval on the rower until after next week.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast