• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thursday 1/27/22:
    Press: 3x5 @ 137.5
    Bench: 3x5 @ 232.5
    Weighted Chins: 3x5 @ + 25lbs
    Tricep Pushdowns: 3x15,15,12

Moved to 2.5lb jumps on both press and bench. Press is feeling better, this is a 5-rep PR for me, and I did it 3x5, so that's cool. Last rep or last set was a pseudo grinder, but that's mainly because I double clutched on my hip shift and basically strict pressed it up from a bad position. I just need to commit to the hips, I'm getting closer though as I'm getting more reps where I feel it and zero back issues. It's harder to do as the weight gets heavier though. Right now adding a third press day to the week, I'll do some pin press tomorrow.

Bench felt heavier than I thought it should, but probably a little fatigued from Press. I'm pressing first every day as I want to prioritize my Press.

Friday 1/28/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 305
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 375
    Pin Press (from nose): 2x5 @ 135, 3x5 @ 145 (decided 135 was too light and pushed the weight up)
    DB Hammer Curls

Felt really good today. It's pretty amazing what some food and sleep can do. This was the best I've felt in a morning lift in as long as I can remember, and I even stopped taking pre-workout this week. Just a cup of coffee for me this morning. Perhaps that has something to do with it too. Either way, squat moved really well and putting on more good reps than bad ones. Deadlift moved well again today too. Feeling heavier yes, but still think I can keep going at 2 pulls a week. I'll probably get a couple videos uploaded here later.

I have never really done solid programming with pin presses, and it's been a while, so I was going to start light. But after second set at 135 it just felt too light, which I kinda knew, but figured I could push it more so I went to 145 and did 3 more sets. It was a little tricky finding my set-up and getting the weight over midfoot. I let a couple reps get away from me for that reason.

Squat Video
    Deadlift Video
    Last edited by Wlodyd52; 01-28-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Monday 1/31//22:
    Press: 3x5 @ 140
    Bench: 3x5 @ 235
    Chins: 31 reps - 11,10,7,3
    LTEs: 3x12

Felt good today, press moved well, I think I did better job keeping my chest up, but hips just really weren't there today. Felt ok, but took a video of last set and just not enough hips. Keep working on it.

Bench was alright, still working through a lot of elbow flare out of the bottom, but I don't know if it's a problem or not. Feels alright, moves well, I've got more in me.

Tuesday 2/1/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 310
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 375
    Back extensions

I slept pretty crappy last night and woke up feeling pretty exhausted. But once I got going I had a pretty good workout again.

I messed up and redid the same deadlift weight as last time, no wonder it felt pretty easy. I didn't realize that until just now, oh well.

Squat felt pretty darn good today. Focused on slowing down my descent and I think I was doing a better job maintaining tightness, nailing depth, and keeping my chest down.

Thursday 2/3/22:
    Press: 3x5 @ 142
    Bench: 3x5 @ 237.5
    Weighted Chins (207.4+25): 6,5,5
    Tricep Pushdowns: 3x12-15

Press form felt a bit off today. Early reps were ok, but as weight got heavier with fatigue everything broke down a bit. But I still got it done, but certainly some reps felt better than others. Just need lots of touches with heavier weight right now.

Bench was ok too, definitely getting heavier. Probably need to watch my bench intensity and could back-off and add some more volume with 5x5 in the future with a second lighter day. We'll see, will keep it going for now.
    Last edited by Wlodyd52; 02-03-2022 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Wrong date

Friday 2/4/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 315
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 380
    Pin Press (from nose): 3x3 @ 150 (Looks like I wrote I did sets of 5 last time, that didn't happen, I did sets of 3 like today)
    Barbell Curls

Squat felt good. Probably rising the chest a little too quick, so need to keep my chest down. But felt pretty solid and while weight is feeling heavy, it's not a problem at all.

Deadlift felt pretty good today, I used straps for the first time in a long time (used new loopless straps made out of seatbelt materials). The top set of 5 with my hook grip twice a week seem to be beating up my hands and grip, so just thought I'd introduce straps and it felt markedly easier today.

Monday 2/7/22:
    Press: 144 x 5,4,5,1
    Bench: 3x5 @ 240
    Chins: 31 reps - 10,8,6,7,2
    LTEs: Ran out of time

Played basketball again last night, so it definitely impacted my workout today. Considering retiring from bball to better focus on my training as I know they conflict. Going to take tomorrow off to get another day of recovery before squats. I was going to take today off instead but not sure I can workout on Friday and I didn't want to lift 3-days in a row. Oh well. Basketball is fun, but it is taxing on my recovery resources.

Press felt alright, I completely misgrooved by 4th rep of that 2nd set and shoved it like 3" in front of my face. I ground it out, but it took way too much out of me and I paid for it and couldn't finish the set. I got all 5 the next set, albeit pretty tough, but I got 'em. Then just took a really short rest and did one more to get my 15 reps.

Bench was feeling pretty heavy today. Probably from pressing and general recovery from bball again, but I still think I have some more in my progression if I eat and recover. So going to be a big focus for me this week.

Did chins on the power rack today, so a little different than the pull-up bar which could've contributed to the drop in reps. That pull-up bar has a crappy knurl on it though it it destroys my hands. Also, again, recovery.

Wednesday 2/9/22
    Squat: 3x5 @ 320
    Press: 145x4,4; 135x5
    Deadlift: 385x5

Went and worked out with Mia Inman and some of the hopefully soon SSCs at Starting Strength Columbus. Great experience and thankful to Mia and all them for having me as one of their test subjects. Kind of zagged on my workout plan for the week so I could get some feedback on my squat, press, and deadlift.

Need to work on keeping my chest down in the squat, and maintaining tightness (constant speed) at the bottom of the squat.

It seems my press needs the most work of any, moved by grip in a bit which felt odd, but good. Then really just need to work on my tightness overall and throwing the hips forward. We did a couple sets at 145, then Mia backed it off to work on some form cues.

Deadlift I think was pretty good, just need to keep my hips high and work on taking just a little more slack out of everything before starting the pull (watch the wrists). Good workout though and had a good time!

Friday 2/11/22
    2-0-2 Tempo Squat: 2x5 @ 260
    Bench: 3x5 @ 242.5
    Pin Press: 3x3 @ 155
    Weighted Chins: 3x5 207.2+30 lbs

Did another full day body workout since I did one on Wednesday. Just doing 3 workouts this week. Just did a light squat (tempos to focus on form) since I'm only 36 hours removed from my Wednesday workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Sunday 2/13/22
    Press: 146 x 5,3,2,3,3 (16 reps)
    Bench: 3x5 @ 245
    LTEs: 3x12

Decided to workout today because of the Super Bowl tonight. I'm sure I'll have a few drinks and pizza+wings tonight, so didn't feel like getting up early tomorrow. Was a little leary of pressing heavy again (particularly bench) but I went for it anyone. I added weight to my press (1 lb) from last Wednesday and got all 5 reps, weird how that works. 2nd and 3rd sets were my worst form wise. Really focused hard on my tightness and hips on last two sets, only had triples left in me though.

Bench went well but definately feeling heavy. Last rep of last two sets were tough, first 3 moved pretty easy and just got progressively substantially harder. But kind of the point! Going to recover and keep adding weight.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast