starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Return to Starting Strength

Lightbulb Return to Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just starting a training log to have better record of my lifts to point to in comms with coaches or anyone on these forums, as well as just a better place to make some notes about my workouts outside of my google sheet.

I made a long post on the SS Network forum about coming back to Starting Strength style of programming after about 6-months of Conjugate / Concurrent training. So I won't reiterate but it can be found here:

| Starting Strength Network

But in short, started an Intermediate version of the LP in the form of a 4-day split after some feedback from Nick D on the forum. My current lifts from a USPA comp in December 2021 are:

Squat - 410
    Bench - 295
    Deadlift - 465
    Press - 160ish (not really sure, haven't done a lot of overhead pressing)

My first week (last week) back I did 3-days:

Monday, 1/3/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 265
    Press: 3x5 @ 115
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 315

Wednesday, 1/5/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 270
    Bench: 3x5 @ 205
    Powercleans: Worked up to a few sets 3 at 25, been a long time since I've cleaned.

Friday, 1/7/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 275
    Press: 3x5 @ 120
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 325

I know I'm starting pretty low, but been a long time since I've done 5's and it feels "hard enough" right here by the end of the week. Deadlifts and bench are still pretty easy. Squats are ok, but I need to clean up my form some more. I plan on just making 5lb jumps on squat and 10 lb jumps on deadlift until I get my numbers back up. Thought about doing 10lb jumps on squat too, but like I said I need to focus on my form a little bit. Everything else feels good.
    Last edited by Wlodyd52; 01-14-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Monday, 1/10/22:
    Current weight: 208 lbs
    5'-11" since I didn't mention it before

Moving to 4-day split this week

Press: 3x5 @ 125
    Bench: 3x5 @ 210
    Chins: 3xAMRAP: 9, 5, 7 (took too short a rest between 1st and 2nd set and otherwise was a weenie)
    Dumbell LTEs: 3x12
    Finished with some light lying internal / external rotations for shoulder health and some passive hangs.

Good workout today, I'm very happy and motivated to have control of my programming again and doing the things I enjoy. Squatting, Benching, Pressing, and Deadlifting.

Tuesday, 1/11/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 280
    Powerclean: 5x3 @ 135
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 335
    Backextensions
    Barbell Curls just because

A little frustrated with my squat form, probably a little too much. It's not god awful, but quite a bit of knee slide and too many reps where my hips come forward and my knees and everything come forward. I had a little bit of paralysis by analysis today through my warmups and did like 75 warmup sets. Just need to squat some days. Weight moved fine though, I want to add more but trying to take it slow to work out the form and make sure no issues.

Given your questions why not post your squats? Or contact an online coach for advice or go work with one.

Yea, I thought about it. I have in the past and have worked with an online SSC for about 5-6 months. It just wasn't working electronically and I think tough for a coach to find little issues from videos. Maybe I'll put a recording on here and see if I can get any different tips. I plan on joining SS Columbus when it's up and running, which is looking like late March-April timeframe, so looking forward to working with a coach in person. Closest coach is an hour away right now and it we couldn't coordinate a time to get together previously, so just kind running with it for now. Not sure who the head coach there will be.

I'm guessing you are referring to Columbus, Ohio. Will that be an entirely new SS gym?

Yea, they just got their lease agreement signed, expected to open late March to early April. Only about 10-minutes from my house so looking forward to it!

I just had a revelation on my squat though, I need to bust out my old TUBOW. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner, but I'll try that and maybe post a couple videos on here as I work it out.

Thursday, 1/13/22:
    Press: 3x5 @ 127.5
    Bench: 3x5 @ 215
    Chins: 3xAMRAP: 10,7, 5
    Tricep Pushdowns: 3x10-12
    Did some passive hangs and band pull aparts for shoulder health at the end.

Pressing felt good today. Weight moved well, press will probably hit a wall pretty quick though so making 2.5 lb jumps for now as I continue to monitor form as weight gets heavier. Form felt ok today but sometimes I can feel it in my back. Really trying to make sure I contract my abs and don't flex my lumbar spine with the hip movement. Managed fine, but just need to watch my back.

Press Video (just trying out new video linking in YouTube):

A straight press. Good form. I tried the bend ones body like a string on a bow but I'm not coordinated enough. So I've gone back to straight press. We will see. My top single was four years ago at 128. I hope for more.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 1/14/22:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 285
    Powercleans: 4x3 @ 140
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 345
    Pendlay Rows 3x10
    DB Curls

Birthday Squats! I turn 38 today, so figured no better way to celebrate than with squats and deadlifts. Too bad I will also have to celebrate with a quarantined 2-year old and a 5-year old that woke me up 6 times last night and I've got a tickle in my throat too. That's what having young kids is like today though. But overall I felt alright once I got moving and had a good workout today. Posting some videos of each lift today to have a baseline to go off of for each.

I crafted up a quick TUBOW last night by squaring off some 2x6s and gluing them together. I need to square off the end a little better, but no time before the workout this morning, I will get to it tho. Used the TUBOW through my warmups and felt pretty good, I could definitely feel the tension in my hamstrings more but I didn't necessarily feel stronger either. Just a form change, and now need to find my hip drive. Posting a video of my first working set below. I think this looks better, maybe still a little bit of knee slide I can work on, but I'm not crashing into my knees here at least. Sets 2 and 3 weren't as good as this, so this is as good as it gets right now.
    Squats, 3x5 @ 285. First set. - YouTube

Powercleans felt good. Was just thinking about keeping my arms straight in the pull and just generally trying to get used to these again. I was going to do 5x3 but I felt like the volume was getting to me a little bit ahead of deadlifts and wasn't the point of these, they're mainly a warmup for deadlift and an opportunity to work on form, so I cut it off at 4 sets. Soon I'll separate these out onto a light pull day. May run it at 3x3 with deadlifts next week and separate them after that.
    Powercleans, 4x3 @ 140. First set. - YouTube

Deadlifts were pretty easy. I could probably set my low back a little better looking at it here, just wasn't thinking about it much. I was struggling with lowering the weight down here and got out of position a couple times and had to reset. Not a problem at lighter weights, but will hurt when I get to a heavier set of 5.
    Deadlift, 1x5 @ 345 - YouTube
    Last edited by Wlodyd52; 01-14-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast