Thread: 4 day TM split 2022

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    7/5/2022

Squat 345x2x2
    Deadlift 325x5x2
    Pulldown 172.5x12x3

Last rep of the second squat set took a long ass time to get up. I think my stance was a little off (heels were too close together), but I'm still going to move to singles next week. Deadlifts were hard since I was still doing them double overhand, but I like how it forces me to concentrate a lot on the upper back extension. Pulldowns STILL managed to all make it to the chest, albeit barely. I wish they hadn't, I hate 12s. Next week has GOT to be the last one.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 07-08-2022 at 08:39 PM.

7/7/2022

Press 172x1
    Bench 217.5x5x4, 217.5x10 (AMRAP)

The hits keep on coming. I decided to be a little more aggressive based on the 1RM bench attempt earlier in the week, and decided to up my press attempt a few notches. It went up without any grind at all. This is pretty remarkable stuff. I swear, my meds have been holding back my strength quite a bit. I also foolishly decided that since this will be my last day of this programming for the pressing movements, I'd try an AMRAP on the last volume set. Got fucking 10, I couldn't believe it. 215x5x5 was pretty damn hard last week. I could probably push this programming further right now, but I've been running this out for months and want to try something different for a bit. I'll still be running out the squats and the deadlifts though. I don't think squats have much left, but I could be wrong.

7/8/2022

Deadlift 440x2
    Squat 265x5x4

That was one hard double. I'm gonna go ahead and go back to power cleans on tuesdays. I'll still try 445 for a set of 2 next week. Squats were tough, my knee is bothering me again. I think my new job is part of the problem, I am constantly sitting down in and getting up from a fairly narrow chair that is rather low to the ground.

7/11/2022

Weigh-In: 297.2 pounds

Bench 235x3x6
    Strict Press 120x2x6

In the grey book, there's a "six sets" program under the four day split section that is recommended as something to do after running a program that relies heavily on 5 rep sets. So while my lower body stuff is running out, I'm gonna be doing this, with a fairly aggressive rate of improvement. Both lifts were done with pretty short rests between sets. The bench got 90 seconds each, the presses got 60. I was basically doing them like a dynamic effort workout. Can't believe that weight all came back as quick as it vanished. How the fuck can that even happen? My belt is even tighter again.

7/12/2022

Squat 350x1x5
    Power Snatch 95x3x3
    Pulldown 175x12x3

I thought it was an unwritten rule that people who squat over a hundred pounds less than you don't get to tell you how to squat? Actually had a "your back should be upright" jackass come up to me today while I was doing the heavy singles. He had 225 on the bar, and odds are good he probably wasn't even squatting to depth (because few people do, but I didn't actually look). I looked at him like he was an idiot and I think he got the hint. Tried power snatches to change things up a bit, I'm really bad at these. Pulldowns finally didn't hit the chest somewhere on rep 9 or so of the last set, thank god. Finally time to move to 10s.

7/14/2022

Press 150x3x6
    Close Grip Bench 195x2x6

Press was good, went with the short 90 second rest between sets like the bench on monday. Close grip bench was a strange experience. Definitely was very hard to do these fast, unfamiliarity probably played a role in that. I had my grip in a little from my pressing grip, I might have to widen it to a press grip. I got slight tinges of elbow pain from that width. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. If it starts to become more pronounced I'll definitely widen up.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I thought it was an unwritten rule that people who squat over a hundred pounds less than you don't get to tell you how to squat? Actually had a "your back should be upright" jackass come up to me today while I was doing the heavy singles. He had 225 on the bar, and odds are good he probably wasn't even squatting to depth (because few people do, but I didn't actually look). I looked at him like he was an idiot and I think he got the hint.
    Sounds like a great opportunity to point to your bar and ask him to demonstrate. The look on his face would have been priceless. Although the "you're an idiot" look is well-placed.

Keep at it!

7/15/2022

Deadlift 445x2
    Squat 260x5x3

Deadlifts moving along. Slow last rep but I think I still have more. Kicking the zoloft again has definitely been doing good things. I decided to chop down the volume on the squats. Feels odd doing a 3x5 for "volume day", but the soreness has just been piling up so damn much. Ibuprofen helps, though. Took a bunch before today and tuesday's workouts, not having to feel that soreness definitely helps my squats move more smoothly. I see why I once read Rip calling the stuff a performance enhancing drug. I don't wanna rely on it too much, though. Hopefully it won't be so necessary with this small alteration.

7/18/2022

Weigh-in: 296.2 pounds

Bench 240x3x6
    Strict Press 120x2x6

Aggressive jump on the bench, but I am going to be running this aggressively since I don't plan on running it long. I'm hoping to top my best TM triples (250) in some capacity. Would be really cool if I could do that weight for six sets. Felt hard, but not too slow even at the end. If that AMRAP bench experiment has taught me anything, I have very poor feeling for how many reps I have left in the tank.

Hard to gauge the presses. The goal in this program as written is to get the light day movements to move progressively faster while keeping the weight constant. I wouldn't have called these very fast, but strict presses are a lot harder to shoot up fast than ones where you use the hip thrust.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 07-21-2022 at 04:35 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    7/19/2022

Squat 355x1x3
    Power Snatch 97.5x3x3
    Pulldown 177.5x10x3

Squats were still okay, so moving along to 360 again next week. Snatches are feeling a little more comfortable. I feel like I began by sort of "looping" the second pull portion up into the final lockout. Today I think I did a better job of keeping the bar path more vertical and less looped. Pulldowns were actually a little harder than they should have been. On the third set, after about rep 4, the 10 pound plate I was using to precision-load the weight I needed slid off the crappy pin. So I stopped to pick it up and put it back on, then I did a full 10 reps. So The last set was harder than it should have been. Still hit the chest on every rep though.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast