starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old and trying to make intermediate training work out for me.

Default Old and trying to make intermediate training work out for me.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5'10" 225 pounds, I am 51 years old. I am going to give the Texas Method a run or at least some basic level TM programming for some of the lifts. I have spent the past year and 3 months running a ss NLP with some modifications on volume the past 6 months or so. One important note is I had a complete pec tear in 2020. Though it is fully repaired with a cadaver tendon the bench press still feels awkward and I am uncertain as to how much is mental and how much is physical and maybe not solvable. To this end I have done more Incline bench press the past year with some returns to see if the bench press is still awkward. For the TM I am going to do the incline in place of bench press...I may follow Rips advice and go full bore press later with dips or the like to address some pectoral strength. Anyway:
    Best lifts to date Squat - 450 x 5
    Deadlift 485 x 5
    Incline Bench Press 257.5 x 5
    Press 222.5 x 3x3

This week I am finishing out the triples for press and will do one more Incline press workout with a top set and two drop sets (the advanced NLP protocol). After this week it will be me trying to be as close to TM as I can without getting melted with volume and juggling intensity. I did start my protocol for TM this week on the squat but I did take a drop on the weight and the sets for the first week as I had a minor adductor pull a few weeks ago. Will move to the full 5 sets on volume day with percentages closer to 85 percent versus 90 to see if I can handle the stress.

Workout from 10/5/2023
    Squat - 365 x5x3
    Press - 222.5 x3x3
    Chins - 8, 7, 6

Incline Bench press - 260 x 4 (so close to 5 but no go), 245x5x2
    Deadlift - 495 x 5
    Will start 5x5 volume next week with 220 for incline (basing starting volume weight off of 245). I may also slide Deadlift to Sundays to go with intensity Squat after a week or so. Still trying to see how much volume I can take and I think it might take a couple weeks to take the temperature on that one.

Squat - 425 x 5
    Press - 225 x 3 x3
    Chins - 9,8
    Next week as all taper is ended and going all the way TM will do Deadlift on Sunday with intensity squat.

Squat - 370 x 5 x5
    Incline bench press - 230 x 5 x 5
    Chins - 8, 8

Went a little heavier on the incline since I did do a taper with top set and two drop sets at the end of NLP.

thats a lot of squats...damn good job!

Yeah, it took a while and I was operating substantially under the baseline of 90 percent of Intensity weight, but I wanted to see how I handle the volume both on volume day and recovery thereafter. Today not sore or stiff so...I guess we will see how it is 3-4 weeks down the road.

Light day 10/13/2023
    Squat 275x5x2
    press 170 x 5 x3
    chins 6,5,4
    Chins felt a bit rough, I was using a wider supinated grip (my beat down wrists prefer neutral, but they are getting better and better at full underhanded grip) and it whipped me a little.

intenstity day 10/15/2023
    Squat - 430 x 5
    Incline press 260 x 5
    Deadlift 500 x 3
    Deadlift was not too tough but I did shart on 3rd rep and at the risk of becoming internet famous for the wrong reasons on security cameras decided to call it done before I hit cloth.
    I am considering rolling this back to 475 as I add some SDLs on volume day to see how it feels (I had gotten very used to not squatting and DL on same day). Though in this instance it seems my roadblock was not exactly related to squatting first, at least the weight felt as always heavy but moving steady.

51? Oh, to be 51 again. I'm 76. Keep up the good work.

starting strength coach development program
    10/18/23
    Squat - 375 x 5 x 5
    Press - 190 x 5 x 5
    chin - 8, 6
    I was going to do a few sets of stiff leg deadlifts but was against a hard timer to get to my son's football game. Still adjusting to a more true chin up grip as my wrist slowly regains range of motion (25 years of BJJ is not great for the wrists)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast