starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip joints?

Default Hip joints?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started SS 3 weeks ago. Sometimes I have achy hip joints the day after lifting. I don't know if I didn't understand the book correctly but I"m alternating the Monday and wednesday work out so it looks like ABA one week and BAB the next week. I do not squat with the deadlifts so the most I ever squat is twice a week. Could it be form or something else. I'm only 51 not older than dirt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sweeties View Post
    I started SS 3 weeks ago. Sometimes I have achy hip joints the day after lifting. I don't know if I didn't understand the book correctly but I"m alternating the Monday and wednesday work out so it looks like ABA one week and BAB the next week. I do not squat with the deadlifts so the most I ever squat is twice a week. Could it be form or something else. I'm only 51 not older than dirt yet.
    Don't worry about it. You will get more hip flexibility as time goes by and you also get stronger.

An article called "The Third World Squat" has helped me a lot. It wouldn't be for everyone, but it's worth a read.
    http://http://www.t-nation.com/readA....do?id=1856085

It could be form and very likely is. Let's have a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    It could be form and very likely is. Let's have a video.
    Great idea.. I will need my husbands help.

Becky -

Lots to work on here. I would first caution you never to unrack facing away from the rack on squats. It can be dangerous as the weight gets heavy.

Both of these sets look really light for you. Very light sets often don't display the same form as heavy, working sets.

You're weight is clearly on your toes on the squats, despite them being very light for you. The master cue would be helpful here. I can't see how good a job you're doing shoving those knees out on my phone.

Do you see how the bar hits your thighs and has to be shoved away from you around your knees when you put the deadlifts down? That's not going to be good once you put weight on the bar. For your knees or your back. Learn to put it down in a straight, vertical line, just like you should be picking it up (meaning the knees can't bend significantly on the way down until after the bar passes them).

I'd ask you to read the sticky about filming form checks, and take videos of an actual work set before saying too much more about these.

I so appreciate the help and I hate to tell you my working sets are only 55lbs. My form feels shaky and haven't tried adding much weight. If you could direct me what I should work on first, I will do that then video again. I'm not sure how to correct putting the weight on toes. Thanks so much for taking the time to watch this. I don't know what the master cue is.

I'll start reading the stickies.

I so appreciate the help and I hate to tell you my working sets are only 55lbs. My form feels shaky and haven't tried adding much weight. If you could direct me what I should work on first, I will do that then video again. I'm not sure how to correct putting the weight on toes. Thanks so much for taking the time to watch this. I don't know what the master cue is.

I'll start reading the stickies.
    The master cue is "vertical bar path." Make the bar go up and down in a vertical slot over your mid-foot. This applies to all the "main" lifts in the Starting Strength program/system, but will help you most in the squat.

55 will always feel shaky if all you squat is 55. If you want 55 to feel easy and smooth, get your squat up to 95.

But let's fix that gaze too. Do you remember where your eyes/head position are supposed to be from the book?

starting strength coach development program
    I think I'll pull out my starting strength book and reread the squat and deadlift secktion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast