starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlft grip is not as good as it used to be

Default Deadlft grip is not as good as it used to be

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello All,

I've had a real good rummage through the threads to try and find an answer to this, so apologies if I missed it.

I was wondering, on the starting strength novice programme after 1 - 3 weeks you start to cut back your deadlift, my grip seems to of suffered as a result of removing 1 deadlift session. It also tires quicker as the warm up sets have increased in weight.

I'm currently 75kg in weight and my last deadlift was 100kg. 90kg and 95kg were fine, easy if anything. 100kg seems to be a wall in terms of grip as well as feeling like a true 5 rep max effort (like I'm really gringing that thing off the floor)- whereas I felt like I could handle a few more reps at 90/95kg.

I've failed 100kg 3 times now, maybe it's a mental block?

Any advice appreciated.

Do you use chalk/magnesia? If not, then it is my strongest recommendation that you do. Also, do you use a double overhand or mixed grip, or a thumb lock?

Regarding the weight, I would back down to 2,5 kg increments if 5 kg is no longer sustainable. It is also possible that you should switch to doing deadlifts only every other A or B workout, meaning every fourth workout, giving you even more time to recover.

How has squats progressed?

Thanks for replying Bergstedt.

I don't use any chalk, out of stubborness but will obviously consider it if taking smaller increments doesn't work.

I use double overhand grip, I have tried all versions and I prefer this one and feel I can get my lats engaged most effectively.

I've been beasting the squats and really enjoying them, I'm up to 90kg currently.

This is silly. Chalk is required. Using hook grip or mixed grip is also required. Your lats should be just as engaged with hook grip as with double overhand. Doesn't matter how well they are engaged if you can't hold on to the bar.

I have pulled 260 (573#) with mixed grip. I can't hold on to ~184 (405#) long enough to complete a rep double overhand.

If you want to train your grip strength, there are other ways to go about it than holding back your deadlift.

Sometimes using a stronger grip technique magically enables you to lift more. I.e. if your grip is failing, your brain will not allow you to exert your legs/back fully.

I prefer double overhand too, but like nearly everyone else, I can lift more with an alternate or hook grip.

These grips *require* chalk to work correctly, unlike double overhand. They are friction assisted and don't work well with sweaty hands.
    They are less comfortable, but we use them anyway at heavier weights, because they work.

Ok manveer and cwd thanks for your respective feedback, I will implement the above for my next lift and see how I get on.

To echo the others. Use chalk. Learn hook grip.

Practice the hook grip, you may wish that you had started to learn it when the weights were lighter.

With heavier weights, double overhand will start to fail earlier in the set. Rep 5 might feel a bit slippy, then four and eventually it will stop you completing the set, or even starting it.

I use wrist straps with dowles. They're awesome. To be fair though, I can hit 365 for a single on the thicker Olympic bar and 410 on a thinner rusted bar double overhand without straps, but using a shit ton of chalk.

I'm going to echo the chalk advice. I didn't know how much chalk made a difference until the first time I trained away from my home gym. I was at a place that didn't allow chalk, and even my hook grip was slipping (it was a hot, sweaty day). Just get some chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    Get chalk and straps. Use them for your deadlifts work sets. Use them for your last warm up sets when you have to. Train your chin ups and your rows too, both without straps. Your grip will get stronger without sacrificing your Deadlifts.