starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check - Lower back has been killing me

Default Squat Form Check - Lower back has been killing me

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I've been studying the squat for what feels like six months now (including Starting Strength, which has been tremendous help), but I still get frustrating lower back aches after going through a working set of squatting. No sharp pain, but a bruised muscle ache for days after that really interferes with my next squat session. (Currently squatting Mon, Wed, Fri).

I would love it if someone could form check my squat. I have really long femurs, and legs in general so I am leaning quite a bit forward to try and maintain a good back angle. I feel like I have problems keeping upper back tight. I feel like my hip drive is okay, but I wanted a coach here to take a look to confirm.

I very much appreciate everyone's helpfulness around here!

Here's my squat at 115lb

Here's my squat at 135lb

I suspect you are flexing your spine a little, but since this was filmed from the side, I cannot really say.

Please read the sticky.

I think I am going to go out of mind if I have to type that sentence much more.

You are on your toes, your knees are traveling too far forward, your spine may be flexing, you are underweight, and you need some lifting shoes. Let's get a video from the rear oblique shot from about hip height so that I can confirm this and potentially provide some cues to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I suspect you are flexing your spine a little, but since this was filmed from the side, I cannot really say.

Please read the sticky.

You are on your toes, your knees are traveling too far forward, your spine may be flexing, you are underweight, and you need some lifting shoes. Let's get a video from the rear oblique shot from about hip height so that I can confirm this and potentially provide some cues to help.
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. I apologize, I did the incorrect sequence and read the sticky AFTER posting, not realizing the post would be sent to review. I apologize for the poor angle, and more than one video.

A couple questions regarding the critique:

- Would the knees traveling forward be a matter of not leaning back enough? I guess I always thought my knees would be right near my toes just because of my leg length.

- What are the signals that I am underweight?

I very much appreciate the feedback. Next time I hit up the gym on Wednesday I'll grab a better angle and post!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Yawnny View Post
    Would the knees traveling forward be a matter of not leaning back enough?
    Yeah, you probably need to sit back and lean over more.

What are the signals that I am underweight?
    Your very skinny legs are a dead give away on this one. What is your height, weight, and age?

Also, strongly consider getting weightlifting shoes. They make training with barbells a much more consistent and stable experience.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 04-05-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: eye k'ant spel

Let me introduce you to Comrade Wolf, a hero of the Proletariat Revolution and all around Committed Member of the Politburo.

His calves are as big as your thighs.

Your very skinny legs are a dead give away on this one. What is your height, weight, and age.

Also, strongly consider getting weightlifting shoes. They make training with barbells a much more consistent and stable experience.
    Next paycheck I'll strongly consider the weightlifting shoes (I've been eyeing up the Adidas Powerlift 2.0) I received the pair of New Balance Minimus as a Christmas gift about a year ago. I heard people saying they weren't bad for 'training' because of the very flat footing. Of course, these people probably weren't thinking squats three days a week. Honestly, I think a bit of the reason I haven't picked some up is because I don't look like I squat, so I'd feel like a poser wearing squatting shoes (stupid, I know).

I'm 6'2, 165 lbs, and 27 years old (Would you say this classifies as underweight?).

135lbs of squatting feels like my absolute limit as I failed on 140lbs the next workout (and this was after starting with the 45lb bar and increasing by 5lb increments.. doing SS for about 1.5 months now).

Next paycheck I'll strongly consider the weightlifting shoes (I've been eyeing up the Adidas Powerlift 2.0) I received the pair of New Balance Minimus as a Christmas gift about a year ago. I heard people saying they weren't bad for 'training' because of the very flat footing. Of course, these people probably weren't thinking squats three days a week. Honestly, I think a bit of the reason I haven't picked some up is because I don't look like I squat, so I'd feel like a poser wearing squatting shoes (stupid, I know).
    The Powerlift Trainers are okay, but if you can afford them, get the Nike Romaelos. They don't squish. You need not squat a lot of weight in order to wear lifting shoes. I've never had a trainee report that they did not prefer lifting in proper footwear.

I'm 6'2, 165 lbs, and 27 years old (Would you say this classifies as underweight?).
    Very.

135lbs of squatting feels like my absolute limit as I failed on 140lbs the next workout (and this was after starting with the 45lb bar and increasing by 5lb increments.. doing SS for about 1.5 months now).
    My friend, you are way, way too skinny and not yet strong enough. Get your body weight up to 220 lbs and your squat up to 315 lbs for 3x5 and let me know how your back feels. That may take a year or two depending upon how you go about things, but it can be done. I am 6'2" tall and I used to weigh just north of 170 lbs. I am now 240 pounds and life is much better. There is hope for you so long as you start eating. Just say no to emaciation.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 04-05-2016 at 10:08 PM.

My friend, you are way, way too skinny and not yet strong enough. Get your body weight up to 220 lbs and your squat up to 315 lbs for 3x5 and let me know how your back feels. That may take a year or two depending upon how you go about things, but it can be done. I am 6'2" tall and I used to weigh just north of 170 lbs. I am now 240 pounds and life is much better. There is hope for you so long as you start eating. Just say no to emaciation.
    Although not the most encouraging thing to here, especially since I figured I was getting bigger, it's probably what I need to here.

I'll certainly take your advice and use it as motivation.

Three more questions, if you have time:
    - Should I use this thread to post what I have been eating daily, or is this not the most appropriate place for that?
    - When I post another squat form check should I create a new thread, or use this existing one?
    - Are you saying I'm too skinny to be lifting 135 lbs? Should I be doing some sort of full reset (start back at the 45 lb bar)? Should I be just fighting through any minor back pain and chalk it up to that fact that I have a weak, skinny frame?

Thanks again,

OP, this is the aforementioned Comrade Wolf. Do not fear my large calves, I am here to help.

First: You really, really need to read the book. You seem to be asking questions out of a sincere motivation to improve, but you're woefully undereducated in some basic facts and concepts that would help you navigate these issues. Get the 3rd edition of SS and read it cover to cover.

Second, read the sticky. It gives you guidelines about how this forum works, when threads get closed, etc...

Finally, we are not your personal coaches. You can ask us questions here that we try to help with, check your technique every so often, but we aren't going to provide you with a personalized program and customized feedback on each and every workout and daily nutrition log. That's what you pay an online coach for. Several of us here do that, but that's a client-coach relationship, and goes beyond a free forum website Q&A.

Don't reset to the empty bar. Find the weight at which you can use correct and proper technique, based on Camrade Campitelli's feedback above. It may be slightly less than 135, but probably not too much; it certainly isn't going to be 45. So find that weight. Don't worry about how hard it feels, worry about correct. Then begin eating about 1.5 times as much as you currently have been, working up to twice as much over the next few weeks. Yes, literally. Add 5 lbs to your squat, three days per week, for as long as you can. Go forth in honor.

starting strength coach development program

Please read the sticky.

You guys should make reading the sticky like a "terms and conditions" thing, where you can't post unless you've agreed and marked the little check box at the bottom of the page - hah. At least people would be forced to look at the page...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast