starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Replace the Power Clean (too inflexible)

Default How To Replace the Power Clean (too inflexible)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I did Starting Strength for 4 months with Mike Wolfe. During that time I got good instruction and could safely rack the clean, but it was difficult, and I could also barely get the bar low enough even with my arms fairly wide.

To even be able to do that, I had to do all these horribly stupid band stretches that some crossfit coaches had taught me. These probably contributed to the fact that I eventually injured my shoulder and found out I had given myself Tendinosis after an MRI.

I'm able to squat with the bar low enough if my arms are just about as wide as the rack, but I can't safely rack a clean, because my back, shoulders, and chest are all really tight.

What should I do on days I would otherwise power clean? Clean pull? Just skip it all together?

What did Wolfe say when you asked him?

If you can't clean, snatch. If you've trained with Wolf, talk to him about it.
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Elgart View Post

I'm able to squat with the bar low enough if my arms are just about as wide as the rack, but I can't safely rack a clean, because my back, shoulders, and chest are all really tight.

What should I do on days I would otherwise power clean? Clean pull? Just skip it all together?
    I'd say if he can barely LBBS with his hands to the J-Cups/Rack/Sleeves . . .and he thinks he's as 'tight' as he says . . .probably not going to be able to snatch either. Probably.

I'd say the clean pulls.

Out of interest, why are you so tight? Injury?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I'd say if he can barely LBBS with his hands to the J-Cups/Rack/Sleeves . . .and he thinks he's as 'tight' as he says . . .probably not going to be able to snatch either. Probably.

I'd say the clean pulls.
    I've witnessed someone having to get shoved under the bar to LBBS, couldn't rack a clean and can snatch just fine.
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

I'd say the clean pulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    I've witnessed someone having to get shoved under the bar to LBBS, couldn't rack a clean and can snatch just fine.
    you mean 'could' ?

and if so, I said probably, twice.

The whole thing regarding the power clean has me doubting its usefulness lately, as far as "in the program".

1 - slow and controlled first pull is usually how its taught and done. You only really explode/display power at a very limited ROM at a finite time.
    At the lightish weights a novice would use, how much stimulus/training effect is being had here.
    Power snatch? even worse so. (even lighter weight, even quicker movement theoretically, even more awkward start the SS way of setting up)

If you pick a weight for a heavy clean pull, and pull it hard from the get go(not really how one would 'practice' the clean pull, but you can do it that way) . . .
    I would argue:
    -more MU being used of a longer ROM
    -more training effect
    -easier to use/teach
    -less mobility, practice required
    -more carry over to deads

My $0.02 . . . as a keyboard warrior and all.

you mean 'could' ?

and if so, I said probably, twice.
    Couldn't.... As in could not rack a clean properly/safely and was therefore taught the snatch as a "substitute" and was able to do the movement with ease. I did not mis-speak.
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

starting strength coach development program
    Wolf told me to do chins on my non-deadlift days. That was a while ago, I've since moved, and now I'm at the point where I only deadlift once every 4 workouts. I feel like I'm missing out on light pulling volume that would be beneficial for my deadlift in the same sense that a light squat day in the middle of the week is better for an advanced novice than doing no squatting that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast