starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about calfs

Default Confused about calfs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there any reason to train calfs directly either for barbell exercise, health or sports performance?

Does calf raise make your calfs stronger (more so that squat) and if so, does that increase in strenght make you better at squat, deadlift, sprint, football, tennis, etc?
    Last edited by Oliax; 05-04-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Raising calves is good for drinking milk or eating beef once they are old enough, depending on the particular breed.

That's the only utility, since calf size is genetic and won't change much from direct training. Better spend time on the bicepticons if you're aesthetically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    Is there any reason to train calfs directly either for barbell exercise or sports performance?
    I believe so. Even tho they are not that popular around here.

Does calf raise make your calfs stronger
    Of course, why wouldn't they? Just the same way squats or presses would.
    Tendons get stronger, muscles, ankle . . . all that shit and force goes thru the foot in weird way, tendons and muscles are laced all throughout the low leg and ankle.

and if so, does it make you better at squat, deadlift, sprint, football, tennis, etc?
    Squat: no.
    Deadlift: no.

Sprint, football, tennis: Yes, if done smartly. Also from a durability stand point.
    If you do too much of it (calve raises,etc) is a reckless fashion . . . will be detrimental.
    But one could say that about anything.

All the same principles and benefits that are lauded about the squat around here, would/could also apply to the calf/calf raise.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    All the same principles and benefits that are lauded about the squat around here, would/could also apply to the calf/calf raise.
    Thanks, thats what i thought would be logical. Its just that direct calf work seem to be labelled useless in the "gym" community because they don't increase your squat/deadlift and it dont seem to make them grow much, if at all. So why would you do them? I guess thats what you think untill you start to do other things like cycling and one of the first thing that gives up is your calves.
    Last edited by Oliax; 05-04-2017 at 09:04 AM.

If you are *seriously* under-muscled, your calves will grow a little bit from squats and deadlifts. Example: me.

Or maybe they grew a little from walking around 30 lbs heavier now. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Raising calves is good for drinking milk or eating beef once they are old enough, depending on the particular breed.

That's the only utility, since calf size is genetic and won't change much from direct training. Better spend time on the bicepticons if you're aesthetically inclined.
    disagree...I went from 150 - 195 pounds bodyweight from SS and intermediate lifting and my calf size went from frail thin (as did my thighs) to growing proportionately with my legs. I haven't done a direct calf exercise in well over a decade. Also, stiff leg deadlifts leave my calfs feeling both sore and exhausted the next day. There is NO WAY my calves are as weak as they were 5 years ago; if they were, they would not be capable of supporting my squat and deadlift weight.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 05-04-2017 at 09:24 AM.

starting strength logic:

There is almost zero moment arm in the squat for the calf,
    . . . . and almost zero ROM for the ankle.
    Deads same thing.
    Unless you are going to play the "greater ultimate load card". . . . then we can all start doing 1/4 squats with Umair.

I do not doubt the calf and ankle HAVE to incur some (useful) stress from the squat and deadlift, and some token adaptations from that.
    Just because all that weight have to travel thru that part of the body.

Some people have good squats numbers, but have thin thighs as well. Everyone is different.

OP was regarding sports performance. Not hypertrophy.

Intensity Day for Calves always gets me. [emoji4]

Pushing a prowler around will get your calves going. There is probably something to be said for power Cleans and snatches, too.

I notice that my calves get bigger during the summer and Fall months when I do more hiking up and down these steep ass San Juan mountains.

The great John Kuc says...

"Some calf work work should be included in a power routine. Increasing your calf strength could increase your squat up to 5%"

starting strength coach development program
    Do front squats help calves simply because of the added depth?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast