starting strength gym

Thread: SSCAC Series: 2017 Legal Issues in Strength Coaching

Default SSCAC Series: 2017 Legal Issues in Strength Coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Brodie Butland

Brodie Butland, Esq., SSC, gives his annual update on legal matters related to strength coaching during the Starting Strength Coaches Association Conference held in August 2017.

Watch Part 1

Watch Part 2

I am planning to start training some people in January and am curious about both the legal restraints as well as what you folks find to be an appropriate nod to the SS brand and method?

I am not a SS coach, but this is the end goal and part of the motivation to start training and coaching people. I plan on making these fact clear to potential clients, but am wondering if there are any restrictions on how much I can point to the SS resources as a reference point for any "pitch" I am making to them?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I can't speak for Rip, but I would take a look at Andrew's and Rip's exchange in this thread as a starting point:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1620600

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I can't speak for Rip, but I would take a look at Andrew's and Rip's exchange in this thread as a starting point:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ml#post1620600
    Perfect. Thank you.

Brodie, how significant is the Crossfit v NSCA case? Could this be the beginning of the end of the NSCA potentially?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Brodie, how significant is the Crossfit v NSCA case? Could this be the beginning of the end of the NSCA potentially?
    It's very destructive to the NSCA's credibility, and at minimum will, IMHO, dethrone them as the "premier" organization. Which, given that they intentionally manipulated data to take out what they perceived as a competitor (which is proven through an email record), is fully deserved. But I think they'll survive the case.

What remains to be seen is what happens after the case--which I think could be infinitely worse for NSCA than what they've already suffered. Right now a lot of the documents in the case are covered under a protective order (which is very typical when you have litigation that involves exchanging a large number of documents). I have on good authority that Crossfit is going to push hard to have those documents unsealed once the case is resolved...and if the court grants that request (which I think is reasonably likely), you can count on Crossfit raining absolute hellfire on the NSCA with a massive document dump. And that, in my opinion, could spell the beginning of the end for the NSCA.

starting strength coach development program
    Good.

Thanks for the response.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com