starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSCAC: Strength & Endurance

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    And you really think that all this field practice is insufficient for conditioning a player? Why? I don't think you remember much about doing this yourself. When I played soccer in high school, we practiced 2-3 times a week and played a game on Saturday. Our problems we certainly not related to conditioning, but rather the lack of ball handling skills that kids who didn't grow up with the sport need to learn. Conditioning is a short-term adaptation that comes on quickly and goes away quickly. This is why Two-A-Days work for football, and why additional conditioning for soccer is a waste of time, even though it makes the coaches look like they are coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And you really think that all this field practice is insufficient for conditioning a player? Why? I don't think you remember much about doing this yourself. When I played soccer in high school, we practiced 2-3 times a week and played a game on Saturday. Our problems we certainly not related to conditioning, but rather the lack of ball handling skills that kids who didn't grow up with the sport need to learn. Conditioning is a short-term adaptation that comes on quickly and goes away quickly. This is why Two-A-Days work for football, and why additional conditioning for soccer is a waste of time, even though it makes the coaches look like they are coaching.
    I believe soccer conditioning is best developed on the practice field (mostly playing soccer).

I am 11 years younger than you. I played soccer for 10 years in my youth and 10 years as an adult. I coached it for 14 years at the youth level. I quite playing after the second ACL tear.

My understanding is that you use the term conditioning to refer to endurance. The soccer book I referenced seems to use it to mean developing strength, power, speed, speed-endurance, endurance, strength-endurance, coordination, and flexibility. Ideally, the practice is economical in that it is developing technical, tactical, physiological, and psychological ability in the players at the same time. Sometimes, you do focus on a single area.

There are different needs in diffeent roles for example a keeper differs from a midfielder.

I agree that new player who practices for two weeks, and plays a game will then be at a better fitness level. Still, there is a big gap from this level to the level of a player who plays year round and maintains their endurance during the offseason.

Most cross country runners will beat most soccer players in a 5k race. It is aerobic and running in a forward direction for 17-18 minutes. The sports have different demands.

I do not know anyone that can get sub 18 min 5k in only 3 weeks of training unless they had a prior level of fitness or are very blessed genetically. So, the demands of cross country are not easily met as a short-term adaptation.

But we weren't talking about cross-country.

starting strength coach development program
    I just finished watching Part II and in regards to cell signaling and gene expression, is it possible to have permanent affects from one type of training?

For example, I was a competitive cross country runner for 9 years, all the way through college. Was doing 80-90 mile/weeks at one point, and now that I’ve switched to strength training, I find that I’m a “tough gainer”. Is it possible that it is because of my endurance training background that had permenant affects? Or is it most likely from my genetic makeup that I was born with.

Great lectures, by the way. I’m really enjoying and learning a lot.

-Luke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123