starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

Default Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jonathon Sullian, MD, PhD, SSC discusses the impact of lifestyle factors including diet and exercise (especially of the strength training variety) on hypertension in this video from Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

Watch video

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Jonathon Sullian, MD, PhD, SSC discusses the impact of lifestyle factors including diet and exercise (especially of the strength training variety) on hypertension in this video from Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

Watch video
    Good stuff....as always.

Arghh....you said it..."underconsumed foods". However, you get slack because context matters.

I would like to know....as a "seasoned citizen " doing weight training, what you would advise for a entry level HIIT program as an adjunct for at least maintenance of some degree of cardiorespiratory fitness.

Default clear concise sullivan advice

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post

Watch video
    In 15 minutes I got the information I needed to hear about high blood pressure! I am in! thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    Good stuff....as always.

Arghh....you said it..."underconsumed foods". However, you get slack because context matters.
    Imagine my relief. :-)

I would like to know....as a "seasoned citizen " doing weight training, what you would advise for a entry level HIIT program as an adjunct for at least maintenance of some degree of cardiorespiratory fitness.
    We have various options at Greysteel, including bike intervals, power 10s on the rower, bag rounds....but almost everybody opts for the prowler. It's really an amazing conditioning tool.

https://startingstrength.com/article...r_reynolds.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by warrenlada View Post
    In 15 minutes I got the information I needed to hear about high blood pressure! I am in! thanks for the inspiration!
    Why, thank you!

My BP was only marginally controlled with medication only (130/80), but has dropped to around 120/70 since I added strength training.

Dr Sullivan, you say that there is no cure for hypertension that is known. As a young 24 yr old guy, I'd like to know how effective strength training/changing my diet and following your recommendations is at completely preventing hypertension in the first place. Or is hypertension something that happens to everyone at some point? Sort of like how almost everyone has some spinal anomaly by their 30's.

Excellent, nuanced, open-minded, evidence-based and (as always) humorous presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    Dr Sullivan, you say that there is no cure for hypertension that is known. As a young 24 yr old guy, I'd like to know how effective strength training/changing my diet and following your recommendations is at completely preventing hypertension in the first place. Or is hypertension something that happens to everyone at some point? Sort of like how almost everyone has some spinal anomaly by their 30's.
    If you live long enough, arterial compliance is likely to decline enough from simple senile degeneration to increase your blood pressure enough to maybe warrant therapy. But hypertension is by no means inevitable. Many people of advanced age do not have elevated blood pressure.

(Oh, and I'm happy to announce that as of today, this 58 yo meat-eating Irishman's pressure is 122/70. I'm unhappy to announce it's because I had to go to the ER after damn near shattering my ankle.)

As noted in the first video of the series, hypertension is multifactorial and seems to include a polygenetic component. Simply put, all other things being equal some people are going to be more prone than others. But good diet and exercise aren't going to hurt, and you need them to stave off more than just hypertension.

So the answer to your questions is "I dunno. But what are you going to do? Not train?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Excellent, nuanced, open-minded, evidence-based and (as always) humorous presentation.
    Well, that's unexpectedly high praise, coming from you. Thank you very much.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice video! In addition to this, I think hypertension is all about energy management as well. My mom was diagnosed with hypertension and her doctor advised her to plan her day ahead to avoid wasting energy. She was not deprived of doing strenuous work. Her doctor just made sure to orient her with energy management techniques.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast