starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep issues: Move to one main lift a day or lift in the morning

Default Sleep issues: Move to one main lift a day or lift in the morning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am working with a man in his late 50's doing 2 day a week LP following Barbell Prescription. He has been progressing steadily (we have moved from 10 lb to 5 lb on Squats and Deadlifts and 2.5 on Bench and Press). Bar speed still good.
    His diet is good (he has been keeping a journal), and he was sleeping well, until the last several weeks, when he started having trouble sleeping through the night on lifting days only. He has mentioned feeling a little bit more "beat up" than normal

He lifts early evenings, directly after work and usually finishes no later than 6:30 and tries to be in bed no later than 9:30.

We have discussed a couple options to see if it would help:

Moving his lifting to early morning or moving to one main lift a day.

Thoughts or other suggestions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    I am working with a man in his late 50's doing 2 day a week LP following Barbell Prescription. He has been progressing steadily (we have moved from 10 lb to 5 lb on Squats and Deadlifts and 2.5 on Bench and Press). Bar speed still good.
    His diet is good (he has been keeping a journal), and he was sleeping well, until the last several weeks, when he started having trouble sleeping through the night on lifting days only. He has mentioned feeling a little bit more "beat up" than normal

He lifts early evenings, directly after work and usually finishes no later than 6:30 and tries to be in bed no later than 9:30.

Thanks
    Forgot his numbers;

His numbers are
    He is 5'8" 170lbs (A 10 pound increase since starting)
    Squat 190
    Bench 138
    Press 98
    Deadlift 220

I never sleep well when I engage in lifting or Jujitsu late in the day. I can't unwind and get to sleep for 2-3 hours past my normal bed time of 9:00.

My suggestion is to go early. I'm retired now, so I can sleep in, but it's a great way to wake your ass up for work or some other endeavor.

Same here. I’m so amped after lifting or any other good workout that, despite the physical exhaustion, it takes me several hours to come down. I get up an extra hour early on lifting days to get it done in the AM.

I am working with a man in his late 50's doing 2 day a week LP following Barbell Prescription. He has been progressing steadily (we have moved from 10 lb to 5 lb on Squats and Deadlifts

Thanks
    As his work sets have increased he may be experiencing elevated cortisol levels from the increasing intensity. Cortisol will interfere will sleep. Have him try a post-workout carbohydrate snack to induce an increase in insulin to offset the cortisol.

Thanks
    I sometimes have trouble sleeping if I lift past a certain time too.

Also, a good point that it took me a long time to realize is that cutting back for under recovery easily just kills progress. You don't suddenly need less training to disrupt homeostasis just because you can't recover from the amount that it takes to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpertOrBust View Post
    Have him try a post-workout carbohydrate snack to induce an increase in insulin to offset the cortisol.
    Also works great for those that can't sleep after ingesting a lot of protein. Adding some carbs will generally overcome that as well.

I've found two things recently that help this Geezer sleep.
    1. Evening shower (used to shower in the morning)
    2. Upped my Melatonin from 3mg to 9mg

Early in this n = 1 adventure, but two really good nights of sleep. Best in a long while.

bw: 264
    Lifts: Weak (see log for details / a good laugh)

I'm hoping my recent discoveries help me recover better.

All good ideas, but going earlier is the best/most reliable option. Melatonin is probably the least reliable, although I will say that I take it--I'm a responder, or at least the placebo works for me.

However, make sure we're not talking about a soreness issue here. If he's awake because he's sore, you need to make sure it's muscle, not joint soreness. And if it is muscle soreness, he should take a night-time analgesic. Also, it's a good idea, when sleep becomes an issue, to log a "sleep diary" and see if there are other variables, beyond the workout, that could be playing a role.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    And if it is muscle soreness, he should take a night-time analgesic.
    Is a 325 mg aspirin an analgesic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast