starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adductor Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ceast View Post
    Thanks, this makes sense. So the basically they were slack going down, then snapping into tension at the bottom, which is a larger stress than constant tension down and up. I'm sure that prior to reading the books, and still likely bit now, I'm not great at actively driving my knees out. Definitely had more of a "if they're not caving in, I'm okay" thought process.
    It's relatively common, sir. I had a similar issue two weeks ago and I have been doing this for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Most adductor issues are a result of not actively driving the knees out to the side, but rather, allowing your knees to passively flop to the side when you go down into the squat. Letting your knees drift out and actively externally rotating and driving them out are two totally different things. The mostly passive positioning of your knees to the outside, followed by the quick concentric pull of the adductors coming out of the bottom is what does it.
    Motherf@#$er. If I had to guess I'd say this was the straw that tore my adductor today. Thankfully not nearly as bad as Mr. Leppo's from the article on rehabbing.

Whelp, I'll have time to work on knee-drive while I do the Starr Protocol for two weeks. Hidden blessings or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Motherf@#$er. If I had to guess I'd say this was the straw that tore my adductor today. Thankfully not nearly as bad as Mr. Leppo's from the article on rehabbing.

Whelp, I'll have time to work on knee-drive while I do the Starr Protocol for two weeks. Hidden blessings or something.
    Just as a matter of practice, I do not prescribe the Starr Method for these types of injuries. I very much prefer greatly reducing the volume and doing multiple doubles at the heaviest weight that pain allows. As long as pain returns to baseline shortly after the set (within 30 seconds), you are safe to conine at that weight. I build to triples, fours, then back to my regularly scheduled programming.

Just as a matter of practice, I do not prescribe the Starr Method for these types of injuries. I very much prefer greatly reducing the volume and doing multiple doubles at the heaviest weight that pain allows. As long as pain returns to baseline shortly after the set (within 30 seconds), you are safe to conine at that weight. I build to triples, fours, then back to my regularly scheduled programming.
    Interesting ... in that this one does seem pretty minor, I like the sound of that.

Do you suggest squatting every single day, as in Starr, during the rehab period?

Starr says "stop all heavy work," meaning I'd have to bag my heavy presses tomorrow. Sounds like you're advocating a "work to tolerance" approach all around? As in, do my intensity press tomorrow as scheduled?

It's relatively common, sir. I had a similar issue two weeks ago and I have been doing this for quite a while.
    Since I don't have someone there to yell at me when I'm not doing it right, how do you feel about a band above the knees to give me something to push against?

Quote Originally Posted by ceast View Post
    Since I don't have someone there to yell at me when I'm not doing it right, how do you feel about a band above the knees to give me something to push against?
    The band also gives you tension trying to make your knees collapse medially. I don't like the idea and have never used it during squats. Just imagine a coach standing behind you yelling, "Drive your knees out".

Interesting ... in that this one does seem pretty minor, I like the sound of that.

Do you suggest squatting every single day, as in Starr, during the rehab period?

Starr says "stop all heavy work," meaning I'd have to bag my heavy presses tomorrow. Sounds like you're advocating a "work to tolerance" approach all around? As in, do my intensity press tomorrow as scheduled?
    Why drop the heavy work? I want an injury to heal according to the stress I want to place on it.

The band also gives you tension trying to make your knees collapse medially. I don't like the idea and have never used it during squats. Just imagine a coach standing behind you yelling, "Drive your knees out".
    Roger that. I'll have my 4 year old do it. He's good at yelling.

Why drop the heavy work? I want an injury to heal according to the stress I want to place on it.
    Amen, that's more my speed. Got it done today.

Also squatted for rehab. I don't normally squat Thursday at all, so any volume was new volume. I was able to get up to doubles at 135. Wasn't sure how many to do, so I did three doubles at that weight. Then completed my entire prescribed press-bench workout, so I'm not behind on those for training. Figure I'll go back at it tomorrow, which is a programmed squat day, and titrate that 135 up higher before seeing if I can do my regularly plugged deadlift work.

starting strength coach development program
    Amen, that's more my speed. Got it done today.

Also squatted for rehab. I don't normally squat Thursday at all, so any volume was new volume. I was able to get up to doubles at 135. Wasn't sure how many to do, so I did three doubles at that weight. Then completed my entire prescribed press-bench workout, so I'm not behind on those for training. Figure I'll go back at it tomorrow, which is a programmed squat day, and titrate that 135 up higher before seeing if I can do my regularly plugged deadlift work.
    I typically Rx 5 doubles....whatever your working weight was today becomes your last warm-up next time. Add about 10-20#s or so, and do your next day with 5 doubles there. The next squat day, this becomes your last warm-up weight, then add 10-20# and repeat the 5 x doubles. Once your weight returns to near pre-injury weights, drop the weight a bit and add reps to do 4 x triples. Work weight back up, then drop the weight a bit and go to 4s.....repeat this same thing until you can add back in the fifth rep per set and get back to life as you knew it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast