starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adductor Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Motherf@#$er. If I had to guess I'd say this was the straw that tore my adductor today.
    I did something similar a while back, although my doctor said it was probably the psoas major. It was during a squat and I collapsed to the ground; I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get off the floor. Within a few days, everything below the waist had turned purple.

There had been warning signs for weeks...there was a twinge of pain in the groin area at the bottom of the squat, but in the vein of "ignore the pain", I ignored the pain. During one particularly deep squat, there was a sharper pain, and then I insisted on doing one more to make sure the pain was really there.

The Starr rehab method worked great, but the area still felt tight after recovery, so for many months afterward, I made sure to stretch it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    I did something similar a while back, although my doctor said it was probably the psoas major. It was during a squat and I collapsed to the ground; I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get off the floor. Within a few days, everything below the waist had turned purple.
    I'm thankful I didn't get it this bad. The pop-and-tear feeling was there, but short: I stopped right away. Visible bruising was only at the pain site, very minor, and already gone. Gave me a good scare.

I've been following Doc Morris's advice as well as I can with only squatting 4/wk; I'm 10 days post-injury and have gone from a 45lb squat with pain to a 245 squat without. I'd be back at it today but I'm attending the SS Seminar tomorrow so I'm going to give it a rest so I can squat on platform tomorrow.

I know the Starr method has you back to full weight in 2 weeks; right now I'm on track to be there in 3, which is more a function of me not being able to get at it as often as I'd like, than it is a function of the rehab.

Your platform tests during the seminar are going to be some of the hardest training days of your life. I don't have a favorable memory of my seminar days.

This was surprisingly true. I used submaximal loads on everything and this was still the case.

Thankfully I was not an opt-in, being entirely too rookie to attempt that, so my stress was entirely physical. No additional mental stress of being officially evaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    This was surprisingly true. I used submaximal loads on everything and this was still the case.

Thankfully I was not an opt-in, being entirely too rookie to attempt that, so my stress was entirely physical. No additional mental stress of being officially evaluated.
    Having Brent Carter punch your soul in the face with his facial expressions as you coach someone on the platform is not among my favorite pastimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Having Brent Carter punch your soul in the face with his facial expressions as you coach someone on the platform is not among my favorite pastimes.
    Yes, this is an accurate way to describe what I saw him doing to the opt-in on my platform. I recall mostly just that I was acutely relieved that Carter was murdering someone else.

Adductor pain rehab proceeds well. Pain is not presenting at all right now, to such an extent that I considered jumping back to pre-injury weight today, but I throttled back because hey, if I just stay this course, I still end up hitting a PR at Nationals in January, but if I hurt myself again, maybe not.

Thanks for the tips, coach.

Just an update:

No longer in any pain; I'd call the injury healed at this point. Squats are smoother than they've been in awhile. I haven't gotten back to my pre-injury squat weights, though (should be there this week or next). I don't call this an injury-problem, though, but rather some detraining. Still: Hurt myself squatting 345 for volume day; stripped down to 45lbs; rehabbed up to 325 and got a minor reinjury; stripped down to 275; now am up to 315v/335i without adductor pain.

So: Body feels 100% healed, weight on the bar is a bit above 90%. This is over a 5 week period.

Some may point out that this is slower than expected for Starr program, or even for what Dr. Morris prescribed. BUT: For perspective: I'm 41, and this is the fastest rehab of a lifting injury I've ever had. To my view, this is an umitigated success.

I attribute success to getting back under the bar immediately.

I'm having similar adductor pain issues the past few weeks, in addition to an upper quad tear. I started the Starr recovery this week.
    Could you link to a video showing the proper knee drive?

is it possible that front squats could promote an adductor issue?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jww8 View Post
    is it possible that front squats could promote an adductor issue?
    Depends on what you do as you do on the bottom third of the descent....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast