starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adductor Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After a few months of LP going smoothly, I just had this strain happen again. I'd been feeling a bit worn down from riding a bit extra so after feeling mediocre at 215 on a Monday, I did a light Wednesday and off Friday since I was still really tired and tight. Decent weekend of riding. On Monday I was back at it with a slight deload at 205, which felt solid. Felt a bit on my toes/knees the last couple workouts so I really focuses on staying back, hitting depth and hip drive. Things felt good. If anything I was possibly going a little too low. Deadlifted as well, slight deload, all felt good. Nothing hurt during the workout but by evening something seemed amiss. Foam rolled the adductors, which has seemed helpful before to stave off soreness. Next day was a little tight but no pain or soreness in the morning so I went for an short/easy bike ride. Adductor (mag or brev from wht I can tell) started tightening like it wanted to cramp so I headed home. At this point, realized something definitely was wrong and started icing, anti inflammatory and trying to stay off it. Fast forward to this morning and it feels like the muscle constantly wants to cramp in narrow path along the length (pubic origin to knee) and there's pain just below my glute where I believe there's an attachment. There's no pain when relaxed, only when it I apply direct pressure or when trying to move it past it's current comfortable range of motion and cramp occurs.

So, my questions. Did I mess up taking so many days off and not coming back at a lighter weight? Or did I more likely just screw up on form?

Most importantly, is it okay for me to start the Starr protocol when the muscle still feels like it wants to cramp when pushed?

Coach, Almost back to 100%.
    The injury is a hip flexor not adductor. I gave it a couple weeks rest.
    After your above comment, I compared proper form as to where the knees are at the bottom of the squat and front squat.
    I tweaked my form with a wider stance. I wasn't 'throwing' my knees out.
    I am now and it takes all the stress off the hip flexor. Thanks for your help. jw

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jww8 View Post
    is it possible that front squats could promote an adductor issue?
    I just ruptured my Adductor Longus tendon (proximal) recently and it happened shortly after adding front squats to my squat HLM program. There were also other factors like bad sleep that weekend & general overtraining w/ boxing but the front-squat addition feels related. My glutes and adductors had not fully recovered by the time my heavy squat day came around (I felt intense glute soreness during warmups, which was unusual).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234