starting strength gym

Thread: Hips, shoulder, elbows - seeking advice

Default Hips, shoulder, elbows - seeking advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    28 y/o male. 5'10" 215 lbs. I'm facing many injuries and looking for advice on which to tackle and how, and what to do about lifting in the meantime.

Current problems: pinching pain in hips, pain in groin, pain at ac joint in both shoulders, fiery pain in right lat, elbow tendonitis in both elbows.

History:
    ⦁ Wrestler and football player in school
    ⦁ 3x ACL repair right knee, before 20 year old
    ⦁ Labral repair left shoulder at 24 years old
    ⦁ Herniated L4 (back extensions have managed this well)
    ⦁ Late teens to mid 20s, lifted weights consistently but not Starting Strength. Low-bar squat up to 365 but pinching pain in hips and pain in groin started. Few cycles of lowering weight, adjusting stance, but never pain-free above 275 or so. Knees wobbled on heavier sets. Deadlift got much higher, 455. I weighed 190.
    ⦁ Benched wrong (elbows flared at 90 instead of 75 degrees) until 26 years old. Benched up to 280 but OHP only got to 150 with very wide grip. Impingement in front of right shoulder, MRI showed no tear, got some PT which did help. Have always done band pull-aparts and face-pulls.
    ⦁ Put a pullup bar in my office and did many pullups per day until elbow tendonitis at 25. Oops.

Recently:
    Cleared to lift again in May after broken wrist last December. I read Starting Strength and started running NLP which progressed into intermediate a few weeks ago. All weights below for sets of 5.
    ⦁ Pinching pain in hips started after I hit about 250 in squat. I'm up to 325 and it's gotten much worse than ever before. Pain is a strong pinch, 2 inches below the hip crease, worse on right side but present in both. Some pain in both sides of groin has joined this.
    ⦁ Getting shoulders into low-bar position has been a challenge. Took a lot of stretching and there was a little pain in the back of the shoulder each time. Pain has become more and more persistent after each workout and now on the right side has evolved into something fiery involving the lat - goes from back of armpit to scapula.
    ⦁ Despite following SS form and shrugging all the way during each rep, I'm feeling pain at AC joint on both shoulders at the top of the OHP. Due to history of impingement issue in right shoulder, I've been focusing on OHP with reduced bench work. Bench has been at most one set per week at 1.4x whatever my OHP is. OHP is at 140.
    ⦁ Deadlift has no issues. 365 and feeling like it can keep going up for a while. Similar for power clean at 165 (sets of 3).
    ⦁ Elbow tendonitis keeping me from doing pullups. Rows are slightly less bad and I've been doing 3 sets of 10 around 150 lbs every couple weeks. Elbows do hurt.

I have tried:
    ⦁ Every variation of feet width and toe angle in my squat stance to avert the hip\groin pain. No luck.
    ⦁ Rip's "pin firing" method and the advice from "overcoming tendonitis" for elbow tendonitis. No luck.

My plan:
    ⦁ Get imaging of hips to determine if there is a tear or FAI or osteoarthritis. (Would image of the groin be helpful too?)
    ⦁ Get imaging of right shoulder. Post form video to ensure good form. NSAIDS for a week to see if it calms down and lets me get to top of OHP without pain.

Advice I'd like:
    ⦁ What do I do for workouts while I tackle some of these issues over the next few weeks\months? As of today, there is still pain on performing squat or OHP with empty bar.
    ⦁ Any offhand opinions on the hip\shoulder\elbow pain, or the plan.
    ⦁ Stepping back to review my "colorful" injury history: Am I enough of an outlier that I should re-evaluate running the big 4 lifts?

Form videos:
    OHP - October 8, 2023 - YouTube
    Squat - October 8, 2023 - YouTube
    Filmed today, both hurt. Knees going out further than they are causes more pain. Last workout was Oct 4; pain is much worse the night and day after the workout.

Whoever reads this whole thing and responds is amazing. I'd go to a starting strength gym and get some in-person coaching but live in the Seattle area where there are no close options.

Diet/sleep situation/other stress? Squat stance and knees are too narrow, producing some knee slide. Press grip is too wide, possibly contributing to shoulder pain. Have you had your testosterone level checked?

Diet: typically 3000+ calories, 160g+ protein. Looks like: oatmeal + 12oz glass of whole milk breakfast, "whole meal" or greek yogurt and barley lunch, 60g protein shake + 5g creatine in afternoon, "whole meal" dinner. Where "whole meal" means: 0.5-1 lb meat, some veggies, some carbs. I counted calories and macros religiously for a couple years in college but do not anymore beyond protein. My weight has gone up from 200 to 215 over the last couple years.

Stress\sleep: lots of stress. I'm a software engineer pushing for next level in career. Sleep is not consistent but worst nights are 6 hours. Tend to make up for sleep\stress on weekends.

Squat knees: When I got to 250ish in NLP and my hips started hurting, I was worried that knee sliding was causing the issue, and started doing the "piece of wood in front of knee" test from the blue book for a few sessions. Thank you for pointing out that it has regressed.

Squat stance: In NLP before hip pain, my squat stance was wider at 15 inches (for a while I put a T-Square behind my heels) with toes\knees pointed out at about 30 degrees. Reading these forums, it seemed that adjusting stance was one thing to try with hip pain, and narrower did help. Right now, if I go back to 15 inches + 30 degrees, hip and groin pain increases. When\if to go back to that stance is something I'm wondering about.

OHP grip: I will take a more narrow grip per your advice. Empty bar with hands on inside edge of knurling (about an inch in compared to video) does currently hurt.

Testosterone: I have not had this checked recently. Set up an appointment tomorrow to have it checked. I'll post the result here.

Can't you drive a car to a coach?

I always see people say they're not close to a coach but you are closer than I will ever be in Australia. Seems a shame to not find a way to go to a session or camp if you are at all able.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobPal View Post
    Am I enough of an outlier that I should re-evaluate running the big 4 lifts?
    Definitely not. If I had to bet I'd say the core 4 lifts are going to be very helpful in resolving some of your issues, once you get things under control. I had pretty bilateral bad knee pain for a whole, and this video basically fixed it:
    Using Box Squats for Knee Tendonitis with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I no longer use the box but the use of the box alleviated the pain and also helped improve my form.

Also, reull-ups, are you doing pull-ups (palms facing away) or chin-ups (palms facing you)?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Diet/sleep situation/other stress? Squat stance and knees are too narrow, producing some knee slide. Press grip is too wide, possibly contributing to shoulder pain. Have you had your testosterone level checked?
    My testosterone came back today as 393 ng/dL.

I have set up an appointment with the surgeon who fixed my left shoulder labrum, but it's two weeks out. Working on finding doctor to look at hips\groin (apparently the orthos near me are quite busy.)

I have been resting and taking NSAIDS but shoulders are still painful, including when trying an empty bar OHP (with adjusted grip per above).

Today, if I try to squat with empty bar and toes\knees at 30 degrees, the hips hurt just a little but the groin pain is strong. One thing I should have clarified in my history is that the groin and hip pain always seem linked; once one started hurting, if I tried to adjust to fix it, the other would hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Definitely not. If I had to bet I'd say the core 4 lifts are going to be very helpful in resolving some of your issues, once you get things under control. I had pretty bilateral bad knee pain for a whole, and this video basically fixed it:
    Using Box Squats for Knee Tendonitis with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I no longer use the box but the use of the box alleviated the pain and also helped improve my form.

Also, reull-ups, are you doing pull-ups (palms facing away) or chin-ups (palms facing you)?
    Leading up to elbow tendonitis, I alternated grips (palms away, towards, or neutral when the gym had such an attachment). Recently my interest was in doing chin-ups since that is what SS NLP calls for. Both chin-ups and pull-ups currently hurt.