starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dizziness and balance problems

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Have others experienced this?
    I have a little of this, no problem with baths or hot tubs. Sometimes 'heavy' squats and more often heavy dead lifts have me holding on to things on the way back to my Airdyne.

Since it was so close to what I experienced at high G forces as a pilot, I assumed it was largely a blood circulation issues. So, I thought, Water, more oxygen and electrolytes might help.

But I thought my bigger problem was how badly I faded as the workout went on. So, that was my primary concern driving changes.

SWINGS AT A "CURE"
    What I've done that I think help:
    - Water 56oz avg per workout (but not a recent change)
    - Walking (actually added 5 minute nortic trak most mornings)
    - Carbs (protein powder, not because I was short of protein, rather carbs)
    - Belt off between sets (breath better, quicker/more complete recovery)

I've also recently up-ed my D3 and improved my sleep (with Afrin) recently.

So, a whole bag of con-founders, if you're trying to be scientific.

RESULTS
    I feel it a little less recently, but it is not gone.
    I have finished my "reduced workouts" stronger. (long story)

BEST GUESS AS TO WHY
    - Walking more
    - doubling my D3 (5000iu to 10000iu with eggs and butter)
    - Carbs during workout
    - Afrin at night

I probably had sleep apnea so you may not need Afrin. Afrin also has other problematic qualities which I have a history of dealing with fine.
    I'm trying to be keto, so you may not have the same carb issue/opportunity.

OTHER THINGS I'VE TRIED AND GIVEN UP ON (for now)
    - Farmer walks (although I think these are great in a lot of ways)
    - Kettle bell swings
    - Off day light squats and deads

Any of the off day activities are going to conflict with progress, but may be good for circulation.

CLEARLY my expertise is in none of the above. I'm just trying to get stronger.
    The timing of some of the above is in my log.
    TYMR Geezer hopes to be worthy of your guidance
    Except the D3 which I ramped slowly at first but in May of 2018 went from 2000iu to 5000iu, then about 12/22/2018 went to 10000iu, so I feel good but the jury is out.

Good luck Carson!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Your doctor should know about dizziness so he can refer. Most cases end up being idiopathic (like mine--remember, Carson?) and never diagnosed. But in people our age it needs to be investigated.
    Thanks coach. I will check it out. I do remember the problem you had.

I did not intend to start a controversy. I was simply trying to figure out if the issue was serious enough to bring up to Coach Sully. I'm grateful for all of the observations, including Skids original one. I should have commented to Sully first. I'm sorry now that I did not. I will consult with my Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    I h

Except the D3 which I ramped slowly at first but in May of 2018 went from 2000iu to 5000iu, then about 12/22/2018 went to 10000iu, so I feel good but the jury is out.

Good luck Carson!
    Have you had a D3 blood test? Are you supplementing K2 with it? I was taking 10,000 IU's and got a "notice" - your vitamin D level is over 100 ng/ml. I was not alarmed but backed off some to get in the 40 - 60 range.

I'll check it out. I take D3 vitamin tablets, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    Have you had a D3 blood test? Are you supplementing K2 with it? I was taking 10,000 IU's and got a "notice" - your vitamin D level is over 100 ng/ml. I was not alarmed but backed off some to get in the 40 - 60 range.
    It has some coconut oil in it (which I think has K2 but doesn't mention the K2). I also take cod liver oil a couple minutes before.
    But I don't take a separate K2 pill. Like I say I take it with butter and hard boiled eggs.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been doing this for about a week or so.

Blood test sounds prudent. I guess the fact that I was just starting to feel good is not the best rationale ever. LOL.

I wanted to pull my previous post after I reread the thread. I said way too little in too many words.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Like I say I take it with butter and hard boiled eggs.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been doing this for about a week or so.

Blood test sounds prudent. I guess the fact that I was just starting to feel good is not the best rationale ever. LOL.
    Eggs have some K2 in them. I think kimchi has it but no way am I eating that! The fat helps the vitamin D get "absorbed". Feeling "good" can lead to all sorts of good things!

I feel for you, Carson, it IS very very annoying.
    I had it a couple years ago and it slowly went away over several months (I assumed it was BPV and was doing Epley maneuver etc. at the time.)

Have been struggling with it again the last month or so but this time I remember my ears kind of popping for a few days, before the vertigo started bothering me. (I get dizzy lying down, turning over to my side in bed, and then getting up from lying down. No nausea. So for training, its mostly bench that's affected: if I lie down to bench and turn my head to get my grip width, that'll set it off, I have to wait before I liftoff and press.)

Its lessened somewhat now, but then I'll have a worse day, then it'll lessen again. Thanks for the post; I've decided I should just throw in the towel and see a doctor if it continues bothering me.

Thanks to Cheesepuff earlier and to Granny just now. Sometimes I get the same sensation when turning over in bed and when I do the bench press. The problem now has mostly to do with the squat. I will admit that it isn't my favorite lift and I've wondered if it's psychosomatic but I don't think so.

starting strength coach development program
    I do use the safety bar but as Sully indicated I grip the handles and lower the weight to the low bar position. I think some use the safety bar by not using ones hands. That necessitates the weight to be shifted to the neck. I always grip the bar so that the weight is not on my neck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast