starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dizziness and balance problems

Default Dizziness and balance problems

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had minor balance problems for years. I don't take baths in part because of the difficulty getting in and out of the tub, e.g. I have trouble with squats in part because I have a devil of a time with balance. It takes a great deal of concentration to keep myself from falling or at least from competing with vertigo. Up until recently I just assumed that this is just something I would overcome as I got stronger. It seems to be worse. I haven't conferred with my Doctor yet but I plan to very soon. Have others experienced this?

While I don't take baths I do shower. I just thought I'd add that.

I believe you squat with a SSB bar. I have experienced dizziness before using an SSB, although it has only happened once to me (today's workout was fine). Perhaps the pads that rest on the shoulders compress blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a medical person

Forgot to add that I have low blood pressure too (although at healthy levels...).

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I've had minor balance problems for years. I don't take baths in part because of the difficulty getting in and out of the tub, e.g. I have trouble with squats in part because I have a devil of a time with balance. It takes a great deal of concentration to keep myself from falling or at least from competing with vertigo. Up until recently I just assumed that this is just something I would overcome as I got stronger. It seems to be worse. I haven't conferred with my Doctor yet but I plan to very soon. Have others experienced this?
    Maybe BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). Very common. Google it. Or, less common, Meniere’s.
    Had BPPV for a couple of months over a year ago. Go and see an Otologist (an ENT physician who specializes in treating inner ear problems), or a vestibular therapist (a physical therapist who specializes in treating inner ear problems)

Fred, thank you. From reading the descriptions on google I think this is what I'm experiencing. I think I will wait and see what happens. If it doesn't get worse or more prolonged I will probably just learn to adjust. This was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I believe you squat with a SSB bar. I have experienced dizziness before using an SSB, although it has only happened once to me (today's workout was fine). Perhaps the pads that rest on the shoulders compress blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a medical person
    Thanks for the disclaimer. Carson carries the SSB in the low-bar position. It does not embarrass his cerebrovascular status.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Fred, thank you. From reading the descriptions on google I think this is what I'm experiencing. I think I will wait and see what happens. If it doesn't get worse or more prolonged I will probably just learn to adjust. This was very helpful.
    Your doctor should know about dizziness so he can refer. Most cases end up being idiopathic (like mine--remember, Carson?) and never diagnosed. But in people our age it needs to be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Thanks for the disclaimer. Carson carries the SSB in the low-bar position. It does not embarrass his cerebrovascular status.
    Was the first sentence really necessary? This kind of snarky shit is why people hardly post anymore. I was only trying to be helpful and share my similar experience, and of course didn't even get an acknowledgement from Carson.

He works out in your gym under your direct coaching presumably, has had these issues for years apparently, felt he needed to go on a forum to ask for help from laymen, and didn't even ask you about this issue as SS's premier doctor and his personal SS coach in the first place?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Was the first sentence really necessary? This kind of snarky shit is why people hardly post anymore. I was only trying to be helpful and share my similar experience, and of course didn't even get an acknowledgement from Carson.

He works out in your gym under your direct coaching presumably, has had these issues for years apparently, felt he needed to go on a forum to ask for help from laymen, and didn't even ask you about this issue as SS's premier doctor and his personal SS coach in the first place?
    Holy Shit, dude. Chill.

You did the right thing by qualifying your remarks--check.

Your speculation that his problem was cerebrovascular was not unreasonable, but I cited a reason why it's unlikely to be the issue--check.

As to why carson brought it to the forum? I dunno. Ask him.

Nobody was trying to be snarky to you. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast