starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SI joint inflammation / sacroiliitis?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A nagging ache? How long have you layed off for a nagging ache?

My shoulders sometimes hurt, my right hip sometimes hurts, my lower back sometimes hurts. I am still training and still PR’ing. Oh ya... my wrists too. You can do it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks for encouraging words Mark. I'll go do some light deadlifts with minimum weight on the bar and report back here.

I have had pain and tendonitis in the shoulders elbows knees etc before but they all resolved with some rest and nsaids but this is the first time this si joint injury hasn't healed with rest. And since there wasn't any single workout that started the pain that I can remember, I am beginning to think it's caused by my long sitting habits at work in poor positions.

That's the spirit, three!! You'll be a hero someday.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonethree View Post
    Thanks for encouraging words Mark. I'll go do some light deadlifts with minimum weight on the bar and report back here.

I have had pain and tendonitis in the shoulders elbows knees etc before but they all resolved with some rest and nsaids but this is the first time this si joint injury hasn't healed with rest. And since there wasn't any single workout that started the pain that I can remember, I am beginning to think it's caused by my long sitting habits at work in poor positions.
    Definitely give the linked article a read if you haven't, it was suggested for a reason. I thought my back was decently strong, it wasn't. Saying screw it and lifting when my SI joint was a little achy was the best thing I ever did for my back. It may be for you as well and so long as you don't do something stupid form/weight-wise, the chances of getting hurt are pretty slim.

I started very light deadlifts 2 times a week combined with piliformis stretching and hot cold packs. Within a Month the pain has gone. I thought it will never go. Thanks rip and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Coach Rippetoe,

I have been dealing with an SI area pain the last week or so, only impact to training being that I get my lifts in later in the day, as the pain (/strong discomfort) is worse in the morning. Does the Starr Rehab Protocol work well in this scenario, or is that approach solely useful for muscle belly tears? I've wrote in my logbook to try 3x20 at a lighter weight on deadlifts daily starting next workout, tomorrow. I've had great results with it after a shoulder issue and am hopeful it could be helpful here.

Thanks for speaking sense on the topic of injuries and recovery. There's a lot of bullshit advice out there in the net.

Steven

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by saintlande View Post
    Coach Rippetoe,

I have been dealing with an SI area pain the last week or so, only impact to training being that I get my lifts in later in the day, as the pain (/strong discomfort) is worse in the morning. Does the Starr Rehab Protocol work well in this scenario, or is that approach solely useful for muscle belly tears? I've wrote in my logbook to try 3x20 at a lighter weight on deadlifts daily starting next workout, tomorrow. I've had great results with it after a shoulder issue and am hopeful it could be helpful here.

Thanks for speaking sense on the topic of injuries and recovery. There's a lot of bullshit advice out there in the net.

Steven
    I do not recommend light weight, high volume work for bone / joint pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12