starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow thing (possibly a repetitive inquiry, but can't find original posts on it)

Default Elbow thing (possibly a repetitive inquiry, but can't find original posts on it)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Asking for advice on an elbow issue. I've searched, and know about the elbow tendonitis/ibuprofen protocol. I also know Rip has a chin-up protocol for golfer's elbow that might apply, but I wasn't able to find the original post - only posts referring to it without links.

My elbows have bothered me ever since I managed to get under the bar correctly for Squat about 2-3 months ago. At first I thought it was hand position and me catching the weight of the squat with the arms. However it occurs when doing Paul Horn stretches or working with the empty bar, so weight isn't the primary issue here. It actually gets better in heavy worksets. The pain is on the inside of the elbow (the side the is toward the body).

At first, I figured it would just stretch out and I'd be fine. However, two months later, it still happens, is getting worse, and my grip is slowly getting wider and wider - not narrower. It's about two fingers wider than it was when I started. It hasn't gotten bad enough to get in the way of training yet, but if it keeps getting worse, it will.

Any advice, or at least a link to the original chin-up protocol so I can try to figure out if it applies here?

-->Adam

Found the chin-up protocol, cleverly titled "Ask Rip #9".

The golfers elbow pain Rip describes is similar to what I'm feeling, with one difference. I do chins all the time, and they don't hurt my elbows, and according the the video, they should.

Is it the fact I do neutral-grip chins? The equipment at my gym has the following options:
    - Neutral grip at shoulder-width.
    - Chins or pullups at wide grip.
    - Gymnastic rings.

Which option would be best if I wanted to try the pin-firing protocol?

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Perhaps you noticed that the Ask Rip episode covers more than your latest obstacle? Your snark is less adorable than you think and doesn't really inspire anyone to help you make decisions.

My right elbow flares up at times. I picked up a theraband flexbar not expecting much. The thing works surprisingly great though.

The golfers elbow pain Rip describes is similar to what I'm feeling, with one difference. I do chins all the time, and they don't hurt my elbows, and according the the video, they should.

Is it the fact I do neutral-grip chins? The equipment at my gym has the following options:
    - Neutral grip at shoulder-width.
    - Chins or pullups at wide grip.
    - Gymnastic rings.

Which option would be best if I wanted to try the pin-firing protocol?

-->Adam
    It's a chin up protocol, so which do you think is best ? Shoulder width being the best and in any decent gym there should be a number of options to rig something up. I use the frame with the hanging straps on it, but if not, then I would use a barbell on the highest rack position. Come on Adam, it isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Perhaps you noticed that the Ask Rip episode covers more than your latest obstacle? Your snark is less adorable than you think and doesn't really inspire anyone to help you make decisions.
    Sorry if I offended anyone - I was just frustrated. Took forever to find that video (probably because I was searching for an article or forum post).

Tried the wide-grip for a few reps, and it bothered my elbows a little (just a little). I'm assuming that means I'm on the right track, and I'll try it.

-->Adam

Sorry if I offended anyone - I was just frustrated.
    Try to imagine our position.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim E View Post
    My right elbow flares up at times. I picked up a theraband flexbar not expecting much. The thing works surprisingly great though.
    I am having this same issue. I bought the flexbar and will give it a try. I saw the chin up information and can perhaps try that, too. Benching yesterday was painful on my elbow.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I am having this same issue. I bought the flexbar and will give it a try. I saw the chin up information and can perhaps try that, too. Benching yesterday was painful on my elbow.
    My SSOC Intern also recommended this article from Coach Reynolds. It's for bicep tendinitis, but he says it also applies to elbow if you just turn your arm around.

It seems there are several options here. I'm basically trying the least painful options first, and if those fail, working my way up to the bruise the crap out of your elbow strategy.

Dealing With Bicep Tendonitis: A Multi-Step Approach | The Art of Manliness

-->Adam