starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: groin pain (Squat)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    You might consider backing off the weight until it causes no pain, but increasing the reps.
    You could do that, but I wouldn't recommend that course of action. In general, I do not recommend backing off of the weight unless absolutely necessary. I have very strict criteria for how I rehab these types of injuries, but I cannot think of a situation where I would utilize this thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I cannot think of a situation where I would utilize this thought process.
    It's exactly what the Starr Rehab process is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    It's exactly what the Starr Rehab process is.
    I'm not Bill Starr, and I don't agree with his method of rehabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I'm not Bill Starr, and I don't agree with his method of rehabbing.
    This is very interesting to me, as I value your expert opinion very highly, yet at the same time, I have successfully rehabbed two muscle tears (pectoralis and adductor) with the Starr method. Are you talking about injuries other than muscle tears?

I can't imagine I could have squatted any more weight initially after my adductor tear. I had to start without any weight on the first day (two days after the injury, which was probably one day too soon in retrospect), and on the third day added the empty bar. I stayed with 3x25 and added weight everyday, and eventually reduced the reps after about two weeks (or so). The method worked very well, would you have done anything different in this situation? It's hard to believe I could have healed even quicker/better.

Diego, I had both issues a several months ago. The adductor problem for me may have been related to too many front squats and my stance not being wide. I solved that by taking a few weeks off from squats, eliminating front squats from my program, and coming back to squats with a wide stance. My toes are pointed at close to 45 degrees and 10-12" outside my shoulders. Its working for me.
    I heard a 'rip' in my upper groin while squatting 375x5x5, on the 3 rep of the 4th set. No doubt too much volume for me at that weight that day. I took a few weeks off and did the Starr protocol. I came back a little early and re-started after month. I'm hitting it pretty hard right now. I think time is the healer, most guys serious about this stuff have a difficult time accepting that we need to take time off. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    This is very interesting to me, as I value your expert opinion very highly, yet at the same time, I have successfully rehabbed two muscle tears (pectoralis and adductor) with the Starr method. Are you talking about injuries other than muscle tears?

I can't imagine I could have squatted any more weight initially after my adductor tear. I had to start without any weight on the first day (two days after the injury, which was probably one day too soon in retrospect), and on the third day added the empty bar. I stayed with 3x25 and added weight everyday, and eventually reduced the reps after about two weeks (or so). The method worked very well, would you have done anything different in this situation? It's hard to believe I could have healed even quicker/better.
    I am going to go into painful detail about this at the upcoming Nutrition and Rehab seminar in Wichita Falls: Wichita Falls, Nutrition & Rehab Camp | The Aasgaard Company

I go through a very specific algorithm for how I rehab injured muscles and tendons. The best thing about the Starr Method is it advocates for the early loading of injured tissue. In the absence of anything better, this is likely enough to make most injuries better. My argument against it is I have actually seen a frightening number of reinjuries happen during the latter part of the sets as people have added enough weight to get fatigued and form falls to the wayside. I am much more partial to heavy loading (as pain will allow) and performing repeated, short burst sets of the exercise (7 sets of 2 / 6 sets of 3, etc). In my time as a rehab dude, I see far more issues with "in-set fatigue" being the culprit in reinjury exponentially more than I see absolute load.

Quote Originally Posted by jww8 View Post
    Diego, I had both issues a several months ago. The adductor problem for me may have been related to too many front squats and my stance not being wide. I solved that by taking a few weeks off from squats, eliminating front squats from my program, and coming back to squats with a wide stance. My toes are pointed at close to 45 degrees and 10-12" outside my shoulders. Its working for me.
    I heard a 'rip' in my upper groin while squatting 375x5x5, on the 3 rep of the 4th set. No doubt too much volume for me at that weight that day. I took a few weeks off and did the Starr protocol. I came back a little early and re-started after month. I'm hitting it pretty hard right now. I think time is the healer, most guys serious about this stuff have a difficult time accepting that we need to take time off. Good Luck.
    I heard a 'rip' in my upper groin while squatting 375x5x5, IN MY DREAMS, it was 275 lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jww8 View Post
    I think time is the healer, most guys serious about this stuff have a difficult time accepting that we need to take time off. Good Luck.
    I understand what you are saying, however, I don't think physiology is on the same side with respect to what interferes with / aids the healing process. Structural remodeling of injured tissue has to incorporate stress. Muscle tissue, tendinous tissue, and bone tissue do not tend to heal as well under rest as they do with a program grounded in the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle. But, then again, I don't think you are actually advocating for taking time completely away from the gym. By the way, your own decision to widen stance, and toe out more is very, very similar to how I address repeated adductor issues in patients. Good on you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12