starting strength gym
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NLP: Paul's Situation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post

So I would not shy away from volume in this setting.
    Volume? More sets or reps?

151 lbs!

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbfast View Post
    Volume? More sets or reps?
    I will past my answer from before, as I have no new thoughts on this!

Depends on your goals, and I would defer to your coach on this. We know that doctors in general will tell you to do high volume, low intensity, because they don't really understand strength training and don't want you to get crushed under a barbell at their instruction.

My point is that you should not avoid or reduce volume just because you've had a stroke. In general I think that older trainees avoid volume more than strictly necessary. (I consider myself an old lifter at 48, and I have made more progress with deadlift doing 5x5 in the 70-80% range than I would have thought possible.)

I would stick with whatever programming you have. I assume you are varying intensity and volume, so keep it up as long as it's working. Also, any assistance work should be bilateral work: e.g. barbell rows or curls instead of dumbbells, because we want to teach your left side that it is expected to perform the same as your right side. If you are diligent with dumbbells you can accomplish this, but working both sides together should have more benefits for stroke recovery, in my view, and I would recommend against exclusively using dumbbells for assistance work.
    In other words, don't be more afraid to "overtrain" just because you've had a stroke or brain surgery. Ideally, work with a coach to adjust your training according to your goals and to manage fatigue as you go. I am not sure if there is any evidence on this, or if it has been studied, but it makes sense to me to focus on bilateral work. That way the weak side of your brain gets help from the other side, and this mirroring may help you to recover and reinforce movement patterns on the damaged side. Sure, do some dumbbell work when you want, but don't avoid the barbell.

I think that "don't avoid the barbell" is pretty much solid advice for any kind of rehab, at least based on what I read around here from smart experienced people like Will M.

Keep kicking butt, Paul.

Thanks! I continue to improve!

I will past my answer from before, as I have no new thoughts on this!

In other words, don't be more afraid to "overtrain" just because you've had a stroke or brain surgery. Ideally, work with a coach to adjust your training according to your goals and to manage fatigue as you go. I am not sure if there is any evidence on this, or if it has been studied, but it makes sense to me to focus on bilateral work. That way the weak side of your brain gets help from the other side, and this mirroring may help you to recover and reinforce movement patterns on the damaged side. Sure, do some dumbbell work when you want, but don't avoid the barbell.

I think that "don't avoid the barbell" is pretty much solid advice for any kind of rehab, at least based on what I read around here from smart experienced people like Will M.

Keep kicking butt, Paul.
    You are giving me far too much credit, Doctor.

I got an eye examine yesterday. Good news very little change, so I did not get new glasses. I continue to improve even the left side! This is exciting!

Tax software is loaded, so ready to work!

It takes more than one day for me to recover now. I am going to adjust my schedule.
    Sat I did bench press (better range of motion), deadlift, and safety bar squats.

Nice work Paul!

starting strength coach development program
    One of the main reasons I check the board these days is to see how Breakfast-Paul is doing.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast