starting strength gym
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NLP: Paul's Situation

Default NLP: Paul's Situation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I having some trouble with walking (and spelling) so I visited the doctor and got a referral for an MRI. A call from my doctor the next morning to come in. I think this is not good! He has scheduled an appointment with the neurosurgeon. I have 2.5 cm mass in my brain. Surgery is scheduled for Tues.

This was right before my 69'th birthday. Problems started to show up right after this.

YouTube

I will probably ignore the advice of not lifting more than 10 lbs (why 10 and not 9 or 12?) What bad could happen?

I am thinking I can actually have a NLP. My squat NLP was box squats - eleven to ten to nine to eight!

Impairment? We'll see? Right now I just want to walk again!

I am signed up for the Denver Seminar and wondering if I should still go?

I think you're having trouble thinking right now. Maybe we'll decide about the Denver seminar and the training AFTER THEY REMOVE YOUR FUCKING BRAIN TUMOR. You know, see what actually happens and decide based on that. Yeah, that sounds like a better thing to do.

Where is the mass and did they say what it looked like? A 2.5cm meningioma can truly be not a big deal, depending on where it is, whereas a glioblastoma of any size is a very big deal, no matter what.

Anyway, even a “minor” brain surgery is still a brain surgery, so take care. I think you’ll get back to some training, no matter what, but maybe that shouldn’t be the focus right now, like the boss said.

Sending good vibes and looking forward to seeing some more PRs down the road!

THANKS! He mentioned what kind it "Might" be but I don't recall the name. The doctor did mention it was probably not the most aggressive because of the time line. I am just eager to get back to the gym!

Hello everyone, This is actually Aaron Rask, Paul's oldest son. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. We thought my father was going to pass away on Sunday, but through prayer and his will to live he improved enough for another surgery and it was successful. He is at the ICU right now at St. Joe's and will hopefully be transferred to intermediate care tomorrow. Please continue to pray for him and feel free to contact me for updates.

Aaron Rask

720-628-2835

Thanks for updating us on his status. Tell him we need another post, so get well.

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

Hey all,

I and some of Paul's lifting comrades went to see him at the rehab center earlier today. He is a tough son of a bitch. I'll let him tell the details of the story, but suffice to say the whole ordeal was physically brutal and he was not projected to survive the complications that occurred after the first surgery. His bodyweight dropped from 180lbs to 137lbs and now he's up somewhere around 150. He needs to relearn how to voluntarily control much of the left side of his body below the neck, but his personality and mental faculties seemed totally intact over the course of the hour and a half we got to chat. He doesn't have access to the internet at the rehab center, but he says hello to everyone on the boards. He has retained his sense of humor and positive attitude, which is downright inspiring.

As soon as he's cleared from acute rehab with his physical therapist and has basic voluntary control of the left side of his body we will start getting him strong again. He is making PRs walking with a walker now. We showed the nursing staff a video of him deadlifting back in March so they know not to go easy on him.

Let him know that a bunch of us will keep checking this thread and hope to hear from him.

I am home now. But not too swift with the key board. I am learning to walk again. My left side is worthless but I am trying to get it to do something. My pr for curls was 2.5 lbs on the left side. I went from no meds to 1/2 dozen. Never discount the pleasure of peeing in your own toilet or sleeping in your own bed. I have gained some weight and am 144 lbs now. I think I might have died if not for the shape I was in!

Thanks for your thoughts and Prayers.

Paul

starting strength coach development program
    Tough as a boot. Congratulations on your survival. Stay in touch about your training.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast