starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside hip pain

Default Outside hip pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I have this goal to squat 300# on the NLP. I'm currently at 290. I have to squat 295 tomorrow, take two days off and then hit 300. I have been having some pain on the outside of my hips. One side hurts a bit more but in the same place on either side.

Any idea what is the more common issue? I'm am thinking of just pushing through it and deal with it after 300.

Would be Interested in reading more about the possibilities before I decide. I want the 300, but I also don't want to do it if it could possibly incure long term damage.

Thank you in advance.

The "outside of your hips" is a big place. Can you be more specific?

My best guess is glutius medius.

Do you know where the greater trochanter is? The iliotibial band is attached to the inferior aspect of this landmark.

Yes. This is one issue I read about and considered. Possible inflamed bursa.

Read about an IT Band Release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Went through some old posts and saw you recomend that. Going to look for someone that knows how to do that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So, I haven't gotten in to see someone yet about the IT Release, but I did use a lacrosse ball to push into my IT. I layed off squats for one session and am feeling 75% better.

I decided to squat and see what happens. I had some minor pain at 230. I also went for a single at 260. I was just going to do the same work sets at 290. No way in hell could I do a set of 5 at 290. Not even at 260.

I decided to regroup and just do sets at 225 and even these seem difficult. What in the hell just happened to me? My hips ache but nowhere near what they did. Did my legs just decide to give up on me?

Update:

I am now able to squat again. I have started back at ground zero but at least I can squat again.

I found that if I use the proper amount of hip drive that I don't have any pain. It is possible I was just manhandling up to 290 and not using enough hip drive. I only squated 145 @ 3 sets of 5. But felt no pain squating. I guess we will see what happens when the weight gets heavy.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-28-2019 at 01:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I have also been struggling with trochanteric bursitis. For the past 4 months it has blocked my progress. I have tried rest, massage, etc. Did not help. I began stretching the glutes and only the glutes. The problem now seems to have resolved after a week of this. It is interesting. Anyone else attempt stretching to fix it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast