starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery after metatarsal surgery

Default Recovery after metatarsal surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I broke my 5th metatarsal, near the head of the bone 10 days ago and was in a cast since then. Yesterday I had surgery where they pinned the fracture with a metal plate, now I‘m in an AirCast boot.

What can I do to make recovery as quick as possible and what‘s the optimistic timeline for a) being able to walk without crutches again, and b) being able to lift again? (I‘m 35, lift and do crossfit 4 times per week, eat healthy and usually don‘t smoke or drink)

Thank you in advance!

Since doing CrossFit 4 times a week and usually not smoking or drinking resulted in a broken metatarsal, stop doing CrossFit and start smoking and drinking regularly, and see what happens. Logical, right?

Did you have a trauma or was it a stress fracture?

Quote Originally Posted by porcopedico View Post
    Did you have a trauma or was it a stress fracture?
    Trauma, I stepped on my own foot while running for the doorbell. 😞

Since doing CrossFit 4 times a week and usually not smoking or drinking resulted in a broken metatarsal, stop doing CrossFit and start smoking and drinking regularly, and see what happens. Logical, right?
    I’ll consider smoking and drinking four times per week as a preventative measure after recovery, but I read that smoking slows healing by restricting blood flow, that’s why I mentioned it.

Trauma in my experience heal faster than stress fractures. I usually recommend a barouk shoe for 1 month and then, if they lift weight, what they rarely do, to start from empty bar.