starting strength gym

Thread: Hip joint popping/instability during pike/deadlift

Default Hip joint popping/instability during pike/deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,
    some background:

A couple of years ago, during a Jefferson Curl, I felt the femur heads of both hips slightly sub dislocating.
    It felt as the heads were forced toward the front. (see image)
    I stopped Jefferson curls and after a while, the discomfort went away.

A year ago, I went through a period of intense stretching of the legs, using Stretching & Flexibility, especially the Hamstrings and Hip flexors (with partner variations).
    One night, before going to sleep, I did a relaxed pike in the bed, and again my hips sub-dislocated, exiting a little out of the sockets and going back.

I stopped stretching and after a while, the discomfort went away.
    During the convalescence, the hips were loudly popping every time I made a Deadlift move (same kind of sound of when you crack your knuckles, with no pain, but with a distinct feeling of movement in the joint and a bit of discomfort).
    Even when picking up something from the floor, on the ascendent phase, at around 90° of flexion of the femur in the hip, there was the popping.

A week ago I had a popping with light pain, during a proper deadlift. A 85% of 1RM weight. I was fatigued as it was the 5th set, and I was coming from an intense period of gym, with allergy during the night, hence less than ideal recovery.

I would like to understand the mechanics of this, could it be a Hip Flexors weakness? Any test I can do to narrow down the cause?

• if I do a standing pike with feet apart, shoulder width or more, no popping
    • if I do a standing pike with feet pointing out (externally rotating the hip), no popping
    • if I do a pike with knee in maximal extension (actually hyperextension, for me), no popping, it only happens when the knee are flexed a little, as in a deadlift.
    • When I try to pike, it feels like the Hamstrings are pulling forward the head of the femur, kind of causing a joint distraction.
    • The discomfort, slight pain I feel, is in the front region of the hip capsule.
    • If, during the ascent of the deadlift, I consciously contract the glutei, the popping is greatly reduced or eliminated
    • I tried light foam rolling of the area below the iliac crest, where the quads attach, the tensor FL, and immediately afterward, the pain/popping was greatly reduced or eliminated.

I made a sketch showing the direction I feel the head of the femur going.

Any thought/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Femur Head subdislocating.jpg

A hip usually doesn't dislocate without major forces.either fascia lata or psoas tendon snaps

Mark, thanks for your reply, I've read the book.
    Maybe could you point where in the deadlift section there is something specific that can help me?

I would suggest that your perception of dislocation is incorrect, as perceptions often are. If "pikes" are a problem, stop doing them and get your squat and deadlift up.