starting strength gym

Thread: Dealing with a separted shoulder -- how to continue getting stronger with this issue

Default Dealing with a separted shoulder -- how to continue getting stronger with this issue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In 2005 I had an accident and separated my right clavicle from the shoulder joint. The only paperwork I have calls it a separated shoulder. The clavicle was not broken, just detached. Ever since it has been protruding a bit above the shoulder girdle just inside the shoulder joint. The doc recommended leaving it as it was and said there should be no side effects other than “your bench press will be 20% less”.

Just started the novice program after reading Starting Strength (yes Rip, I read the whole thing and most of it three times). So far so good except I quickly hit a brick wall with the press and bench. Even with micro plates I end up hitting the same PR, then can’t lift as much, then up, then down. FYI, still going up with squat and deadlift.

In addition, with the press, if I don’t pay close attention my left arm will very noticeable shoot up faster than my right. I just tried for a new PR with the bench, and on my second set my right arm just stopped dead in the air just under my being able to rack it. I had to roll my body to the left to lift my shoulder off the bench to rack. When I tried to do a third set, my right arm just wouldn’t push it high enough to get it off the rack. It seemed to just lock up more than being too heavy. Afterwards, the clavicle was sore as could be where it protrudes over the shoulder girdle.

Any advice on how to handle this? I’m not in a state of mind to give up and those two lifts!

I posted this without first doing a search of previous related posts! What a dummy!!! Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and information on AC issues!