starting strength gym

Thread: Mild hamstring injury?

Default Mild hamstring injury?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing intermediate training and it's going well. I have a softball tournament coming up Saturday. I figured it was a good time to show how with my strength I can smash the ball into pieces. I decided maybe unwisely to do some light sprinting to prepare. This was my 3rd time out. I've been doing maybe 10 30 yard sprints at 60 - 80% effort for 10 times. Today on the 9th, felt like a cramp in inside and back of leg. I felt it first on what seemed like the inside of leg, but now that I'm sitting here it has pain halfway between butt and back of knee slightly toward the inside of the middle. I iced it soon as I got back, Any hope? Should I do RDL light tomorrow and see how it goes. I really want to play. Maybe wrap it as well? Any hope? It feels really minor, but I definitely feel it walking.

My normal day tomorrow is conventional deadlift, light squats, overhead press, accessories. Search around here it seemed RDLs might be the right choice

It didn't work out so well. I injured my hamstring worse the first game in first inning running to first. I'll rest a couple of days then try Star rehab protocol. Hurts bad. I felt perfectly fine before the first game, did light warming, light jogging, then faster running but nothing sudden. Everything felt great until I guess I pushed it too much running to first.

Default brusing on side and back

attempt to upload bruising after 4 days
    leg.jpg

Pretty good little hamstring tear. Not a minor tweak.

It looks way worse today, turned more purple and green. I wanted your advice on Starr protocol exercise selection. I injured it Saturday morning, but being an athlete in high school, I somehow was able to manage the pain and played six more games, just never running light jog. My the way program works and intermediate program I'm following works well. I blasted 1 100 feet over the fence after injury. Not bad for 53.

Tuesday and Wednesday, I did 3x25 on squats, 2x20 on back extensions. Squats it took about 5 reps to get down just past parallel the first set, after that no pain on squats. The back extensions, I was weak but no pain. Today I thought deadlifts would be the way to go. I normally do conventional deadlifts once per week on Wednesdays. Do you recommend conventional as the best exercise going forward? Or would I be better of with SLDL or RDL? I was thinking SLDL or RDL plus back extensions.

You are a 53 year old athlete in high school?

starting strength coach development program
    Back in the day, I was an athlete in high school, which was irrelevant. I just meant to say I can somehow push myself beyond the pain and injure myself good sometimes.

My real question is if conventional deadlifts will work for the rehab. I think the answer is yes. I switched to doing the Rehab protocol with conventional deadlifts. I did that and back extensions. I wasn't sure if RDL or SLDL would be better. My hamstrings get more stetch (I think) with SLDL or RDL. but I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

Hamstring Injury Rehab