starting strength gym

Thread: 70 year old father struggling with neck tightness and tinnitus after cervical fusion

Default 70 year old father struggling with neck tightness and tinnitus after cervical fusion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

New to the forums and here to ask a question to help my 70 year old dad. Several years ago, he had cervical fusion surgery from C3 to C7. Post-surgery, he did the standard PT approach with bands, 2 lbs. dumbbells, 20 rep sets of 15 lbs kettlebell deadlifts, etc. Even worse, he developed persistent tinnitus that no doctor has been able to explain, despite MRIs, etc. During this multi-year period, my dad has atrophied down to 130 lbs on a 5'8" frame and has lost most of his strength.

How would anyone out there handle his initial training? His PT has "forbidden" him from any overhead work so it seems that Program 4D from the Barbell Rx would be a good starting point. My dad's challenge is that he is terrified that any over-straining will aggravate his tinnitus, which is his biggest quality of life issue currently. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

If he is terrified, leave him alone, because there will be "straining" involved. If he gets past this, start him on the novice progression in Rx.

It is entirely likely that his tinnitus has nothing to do with his cervical fusion and more with the fact that he is 70 and may be experiencing deterioration in his hearing.

I've been working with Pete Yeh, who is opening Starting Strength Columbus, and had my dad come to observe my workout this morning (as well as gift him a copy of Barbell Rx). To my surprise, my dad was quite interested in the method and is signing up on the interest list for SS Columbus. Hopefully this is step towards some real quality of life improvements for my dad and fewer 25 rep sets of 10 lbs. dumbbells. My 72 year old mother also observed and seemed potentially interested as well. All in all, it was a good day for spreading the word to people who really need it.

Satch - Thanks for the tip here that the tinnitus is probably unrelated to the surgery. I plan to discuss with my dad and see what his doctors have told him.

The tinnitus is unrelated to the surgery. It's related to age. He had it before the surgery and was successfully ignoring it, like I do.