starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was I getting a hernia or something else?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Excellent idea! Good luck with your training.
    sarcasm ?
    , , , sometimes I'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    sarcasm ?
    Yes that is the rip sarcasm classic I’ll go to a doctor soon lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My hernia was both enlarged and aggravated while not wearing a belt. Read:

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    A General Practitioner / Family Medicine Physician / Physician’s Assistant / Family Nurse Practitioner, all should be able to diagnose a hernia from physical exam.

#2 - Pretty sure a clinician is not going to “just touch your balls”. They are going to perform a physical exam, namely looking for palpation of the painful area, or common locations of hernias to elicit a “bag of worms” feeling. Trust me when I say this, I sincerely hate doing this shit more than you hate having it done to you. I wonder if people realize that this type of attitude by patients is why clinicians fucking hate their jobs most of the time.
    If I am thinking about this correctly, it seems hernia aggravation correlates with ΔP/T rather than total internal P. Additionally, we can be pretty sure the clinician doesn't just want to touch my balls, but not completely sure; We'll peg it at 10%. Does this seem right?

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    sarcasm ?
    tbh I can't tell ethier lol it seems like a good idea to me, unless one day my hernia intestine thingy just snaps and pops like a sausage

starting strength coach development program
    In reference to my above comment, P = pressure, T = time (should have used lower case t). By "aggravate", I meant "increases awareness of, pain or discomfort from the hernia" (not an increase in the severity of the hernia or a further increasing of the size of the aperture).

Simply put, does a rapid change in internal pressure aggravate a hernia, while a slow change in internal pressure may not, even if total internal pressure far exceeds the transient increase? This is probably a question ony those who have experienced hernias can answer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12