starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand weakness / numbness

Default Hand weakness / numbness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't been on here for some time but the last time I was here, I posted a thread about my hand numbness / weakness. This developed after several years of training and ever since the last time I was on here, I've been off training during that period, although I have attempted at times to retrain, though with no luck.

Not sure if anyone can comment, but I've had a number of nerve conduction tests, which they found nothing, although in the last test, they suggested it could have been a minor carpel tunnel. I've gone to a Chiropractor which suggested it could have been due to what they called a "Double crush syndrome", and over a series of sessions and also at home exercises, attempted to help restore the C-curve in my neck. Although this helped remove most of my neck stiffness, it hasn't helped me with my hand weakness at all.

Basically, any pressure that is applied to my hand, the numbness/weakness reappears - mostly the palm area, but fingers aren't numb. But if I stop any training all together, the weakness is gone completely after a few weeks with my hand feeling completely normal. I've had some limited success with squats in that I've been able to train up to about 1 month but then after that the numbness reappears. But anything else such as (pressing, power cleans etc) will onset the weakness in a couple sessions.

Is it your whole hand, or the thumb, 1st, 2nd, and inside of the 3rd fingers?

The numbness isn't as pronounced at the moment, so I'll try to take notice again tomorrow morning when I wake up when it's a little worse.

But in general, it's not the whole hand, but rather just the palm area, especially around the folder under the thumb.

It's I believe just the area just under the thumb (up to the fold of the palm) and just around the callous area ( I think affecting the first to third finger). I'll try to take further notice first thing when I wake up in the morning as its more pronounced then.

When I was actively training, I seem to get alot of weakness around that area just under the thumb up to the fold area in simple tasks like sweeping the floor with a dust and pan or even holding a pair of chopsticks. But as I mentioned earlier, when I stop training, then basically it goes away completely as if I never had any issue in the first place

Sounds like carpal tunnel/radial nerve shit. Might be a good reason for an endoscopic carpal tunnel release.

Median nerve

Try these - 1,6,9.

Only hold for 2 seconds.

Slideshow 10 Ways to Exercise Hands and Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    It's I believe just the area just under the thumb (up to the fold of the palm) and just around the callous area ( I think affecting the first to third finger). I'll try to take further notice first thing when I wake up in the morning as its more pronounced then.

When I was actively training, I seem to get alot of weakness around that area just under the thumb up to the fold area in simple tasks like sweeping the floor with a dust and pan or even holding a pair of chopsticks. But as I mentioned earlier, when I stop training, then basically it goes away completely as if I never had any issue in the first place
    Post a video of your presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like carpal tunnel/radial nerve shit. Might be a good reason for an endoscopic carpal tunnel release.
    As much as I would like to resume my training, not sure if I want to go through the risk of it (despite the low failure rate) when my hand is normal without training.

starting strength coach development program
    I haven't really done any training for years. I assume you're looking to see if I'm gripping the bar correctly in the palm of my hands to minimise any pressure onto the wrist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast