starting strength gym

Thread: Hip dysplasia

Default Hip dysplasia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have all the markers for hip dysplasia, likely from an issue at birth. Had anyone dealt with it worked with someone to give me some guidance in having this discussion with a medical professional? My pain happens when I sit, never when I am squatting, but I need it looked at to ensure nothing is torn. I've had prior experience with the PTs from this medical group, they recommend "smart" things like pulling in my core and up on my pelvic floor as I squat. And the unhelpful, don't use that much weight because it's dangerous. She was offended when I asked how I was supposed to maintain balance with such an illogical movement holding in my core instead of bracing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaliedra View Post
    I have all the markers for hip dysplasia, likely from an issue at birth. Had anyone dealt with it worked with someone to give me some guidance in having this discussion with a medical professional? My pain happens when I sit, never when I am squatting, but I need it looked at to ensure nothing is torn. I've had prior experience with the PTs from this medical group, they recommend "smart" things like pulling in my core and up on my pelvic floor as I squat. And the unhelpful, don't use that much weight because it's dangerous. She was offended when I asked how I was supposed to maintain balance with such an illogical movement holding in my core instead of bracing.
    I'm afraid I am unable to provide medical guidance in this forum, but, there may be some educational opportunities here to provide general information.

I have treated my fair share of people with congenital hip dysplasia. A few questions / comments:

#1) Why do you feel you need to be evaluated / treated for this? It would seem you have already been through some sort of evaluation process. Even if something is "torn", as you say, you do not have any pain with squatting. I think, given your previous experience with PTs, you may not ever get guidance that you are going to like / agree with.

#2) There really is no such thing as a "dangerous weight", so long as you have the physical capability to lift the weight. Attempting a squat 200# above your current 1RM is likely less than safe, but, when you know your capability and lift within your current physical performance range, weightlifting is exceptionally safe.

#3) Medical professionals are in a position of authority, and therefore, when you question some medical professionals, they take it as a direct challenge to their authority role.

#4) I'd like to see someone with hip dysplasia ask their PT what position infants with hip dysplasia are most often braced in, then ask them to explain the differences between that position and the bottom of a low bar back squat.

Oh I know you can't give me guidance, but thought if someone has it or has coached someone with it they may have a better understanding to help me have a conversation with doctors.

As for why, pain. I now have a standing desk at work because sitting would become painful when I tried to stand. Getting out of my car is painful. All on one hip. It started as I had to sit more for work and the 'ergo' seats keep me from sitting flat so that hip is not in its proper position. If I can sit in a wooden chair I have no issue. My reasoning for bringing this to a medical professional for evaluation is because the pain is more consistent and I don't want to risk damage that requires surgery. If its fine, and just suffering from muscle weakening which is my hope, I can keep on my program to strengthen the hip and be fine

My ND is quite tolerate of my alternative opinions on things. if she disagrees with me she will actually research the issue and have a follow-up conversation where she will discuss concerns and what to be mindful of if I'm going to ignore her completely. The PT she would need to send me to, that is a nightmare

I have all the markers for hip dysplasia, likely from an issue at birth.
    Curious
    What are the 'markers' in your case?
    Have you had MRIs/Xrays of your hip(s)?

Oh I know you can't give me guidance, but thought if someone has it or has coached someone with it they may have a better understanding to help me have a conversation with doctors.

As for why, pain. I now have a standing desk at work because sitting would become painful when I tried to stand. Getting out of my car is painful. All on one hip. It started as I had to sit more for work and the 'ergo' seats keep me from sitting flat so that hip is not in its proper position. If I can sit in a wooden chair I have no issue. My reasoning for bringing this to a medical professional for evaluation is because the pain is more consistent and I don't want to risk damage that requires surgery. If its fine, and just suffering from muscle weakening which is my hope, I can keep on my program to strengthen the hip and be fine

My ND is quite tolerate of my alternative opinions on things. if she disagrees with me she will actually research the issue and have a follow-up conversation where she will discuss concerns and what to be mindful of if I'm going to ignore her completely. The PT she would need to send me to, that is a nightmare
    What type of car do you have?

starting strength coach development program
    Could you show your x-rays?