starting strength gym

Thread: Post Rotator Cuff recovery and training help

Question Post Rotator Cuff recovery and training help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all my name is Jim,

After years of hard use on my shoulders with both work, military and bad lifting, I opted to have rotator cuff surgery on May 31st of this year. I started physical therapy which has helped with flexibility and range of motion. I am still limited to 5 pounds of any kind of lifting with my right shoulder. Since I have never had this kind of injury I need to figure out the best way to begin lifting again. If you can help please do, I appreciate all the help I can get at this time, thank you in advance.

My concerns are:

What would be some good exercises to do that will help with strengthening the shoulder?
    What is the best was to keep from having this type of injury again? (To stop lifting is out of the question.)
    What exercises should I avoid now and in the future?
    My primary goal is to get back to bench, squats and dead-lifts sooner than later,

I really appreciate all the help I can get, thank you.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDread View Post
    Hello all my name is Jim,

After years of hard use on my shoulders with both work, military and bad lifting, I opted to have rotator cuff surgery on May 31st of this year. I started physical therapy which has helped with flexibility and range of motion. I am still limited to 5 pounds of any kind of lifting with my right shoulder. Since I have never had this kind of injury I need to figure out the best way to begin lifting again. If you can help please do, I appreciate all the help I can get at this time, thank you in advance.

My concerns are:

What would be some good exercises to do that will help with strengthening the shoulder? Bench press and press. Deadlifts are really good for shoulders as well.
    What is the best was to keep from having this type of injury again? (To stop lifting is out of the question.)Don't fall on an outstretched hand. Don't age past 50. Don't be a female or a diabetic. Don't smoke cigarettes or use tobacco of any sort. Have good genetics.
    What exercises should I avoid now and in the future? I don't see a whole lot of need for lateral raises, front raises, rear delt stuff, or any long moment arm exercises for the shoulder. There is not a whole lot that bench, press, deads and chins won't do for your shoulder.
    My primary goal is to get back to bench, squats and dead-lifts sooner than later,

I really appreciate all the help I can get, thank you.
    Jim
    Responded in line in bold.