Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength as a way of regaining strength after elbow injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's exactly what I was intending to put across

Quote Originally Posted by Kallum Dickson View Post
    That's exactly what I was intending to put across
    It will work well for you. Strength training, deliberate and methodical, is the single best rehab mechanism we have.

I will be doing the exercises from the program as illustrated, although I will probably start at a lower weight to begin with to work the joint again. Depending on how my body reacts, I may swap the clean for the row in the beginning of my elbow doesn't cope as well as I'd hope.

Along with this, I'll be pairing it with a moderate cardio routine to start losing the belly and boobs I've gained in my foolish stress eating immediately post surgery.

As for eating, my plan is to try my best to stick to a 2500 calorie, high protein diet and eating as clean as I can on my meager student budget. If I struggle to consume that by eating, I may start having smoothies with protein powder in to up the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallum Dickson View Post
    I will be doing the exercises from the program as illustrated, although I will probably start at a lower weight to begin with to work the joint again. Depending on how my body reacts, I may swap the clean for the row in the beginning of my elbow doesn't cope as well as I'd hope.

Along with this, I'll be pairing it with a moderate cardio routine to start losing the belly and boobs I've gained in my foolish stress eating immediately post surgery.

As for eating, my plan is to try my best to stick to a 2500 calorie, high protein diet and eating as clean as I can on my meager student budget. If I struggle to consume that by eating, I may start having smoothies with protein powder in to up the numbers.
    When the time comes, there are some programming modifications that can be done to alleviate bone related pain that you may feel if you progress too quickly. Just report back in ever so often and we will see what we can do about keeping you on the path of righteousness.

starting strength coach development program
    I may say something out of personal experience here, as my right elbow was shattered in a bike accident. Got a titanium prosthesis replacement for the head and the tuberosity of the radio, which hurts like a bitch when I lift, but if I don't exercise at all for about a month it will hurt gratuitously and get progressively worse so strenghtening the arm seems to limit the intense pain to the training sessions themselves keeping it out of my daily routine.

What I've learned (and I don't claim to have got it completely firgured out is that I have to work through the pain up to a certain level. If I overdo it, its ibuprofen and 10 days not training, but if I do it just right, I get moderate pain for a couple of days and then I able to hit it again. I started about a year and a half ago in a gym and because those have been closed in view of the recent events I got myself a bar and some plates. Logs show me I was doing shoulder lateral raises with 2 kilos (elbow couldn't take more than that) in January but I've progressed to 7 kilos. So yes, I suppose a barbell therapy will help a fucked up elbow!

Also - and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this - because the elbow is so weak I've been experimenting with more reps. Sets of 20, actually. If I try sets of 5 that will actually tax big muscles like pecs or lats the elbow will give out long before I complete a single set, so I've been trying to compensate this inability to lift heavy by lifting more for the moment, even if it is not optimal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12