starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: groin pain (Squat)

Exclamation groin pain (Squat)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On monday, i was warming up the squat as usual. Everything was doing fine. I put 225 on the bar (my last warm-up set) and i did 1 rep as always. The problem came when i tried to shove my ass back and "sit back" at the bottom of the squat. This was caused by my lack of understanding of the "sit back" cue. So my left adductor was hurt. I felt a slight "tear" or pain, something very unusual which i hadn't experienced before in my SSLP. I tried to lift 265 (my working weight and regular weight) and i got one rep, but i was feeling the pain. I tried two sets after that, but i had to stop, i couldn't get any real reps. So i cut the weight by 10% and the result was almost the same, pain. I only did my remaining work on the other exercises as i felt some of the remaining pain. Today, wednesday i was warming up with hopes of squatting heavy. The barbell was alright, 95 kind of, 135 in the other hand, made the pain come back so i stopped. My left adductor hurted for a little while but it calmed.a few hours later, it doesn't hurt. I will take ibuprofen or paracetamol and never do the stupid "sit back" cue at the bottom, maybe not at the start, either. I don't think is related to muscle, but you actually know about this. I hope i can get some feedback and it doesn't interfere on friday deadlift.

What exactly is your question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    So my left adductor was hurt.
    (...)I don't think is related to muscle,
    This seems to contradict each other.

but you actually know about this.
    Do we? I don't understand you.

If it is an adductor tear, the Starr rehab really does work.

This sounds like it is most definitely related to muscle. Get a form check from the technique subform and follow the star protocol. If there is real bad pain with the bar start the protocol with your toes pointed more forward than usual. Bring your feet out another few degrees every session until you are back to your normal toe out.

Unhappy

July first, squat: 4/0/0 310 on the bar. Didn't complete them because of fear of failing as in the 5th rep first set. July 3rd, light squat day, i skipped july 5th session so i could rest a little from partying and recover better. 7/8 Repeated 310 5/5/4. The next day i had too much DOMS and walking and crouching was difficult. Today, it was supposed to be my light squat day. As usual, i started with the empty bar. In one of the first reps i did, i felt like a strain, like a tear on right adductor. I don't know if that was after i tried to squat a little lower (and maybe forced my initial adductor capability) or before. After that, i couldn't squat or deadlift. Only quarter squats with the bar and without any weight i can force one or two reps near parallel with feet pointed forward. Lately i 've been having trouble staying asleep. Every night i sleep then i wake up and repeat that a few times, so my sleep hasn't been optimal, but i might squeeze 6-7 hours. Nutrition is fine. DOMS before that day weren't present and i don't feel too tired or shitty most days."Squats" were easy for a few weeks, actually. Does this injury suggest "overtraining"? Should i do the rehab protocol again? I really hope i won't have too, because i don't want to lose progress and, damn, it definitely is hard, but if there is no other way... For now i'll just apply ice and rest. What do you all think?

"was after i tried to squat a little lower (and maybe forced my initial adductor capability) or before."

I had a similar pain that I tried to ignore for months; it usually went away once I got warmed up, but one day at the bottom of the squat, I tried to just go a bit lower and something tore. I fell to the ground and had trouble moving my leg. I had to roll around until I found a 2x4 that I used as a crutch. Turned out that I tore what was probably the Iliapsoas muscle and everything below the waist turned black & blue. The Starr protocol worked well.

Even after the Starr protocol repaired the muscle, it still felt a bit tight and had a dull pain, so I started incorporating some groin stretches into my warmup and after a few weeks, even this remaining pain went away. I wonder if I had started treating the problem before it became a tear, it would have prevented the injury? I dunno.

So you think that stretches could have prevented the injury or how would you have prevented it? I'm curious because some of these injuries just seem to happen out of anywhere, maybe just in the presence of soreness, so there is not a lot of room for prevention, or at least the few cases i heard.
    Actually, i had a minor tear a few months ago (you probably could tell by how this post started), the Starr rehab protocol worked well, although it is kind of difficult lifting every day, but it is the only alternative. Btw, i think my last strain healed well with ice, so i lifted on Friday. I was scared because i never had felt something like that while lifting almost no weigh and i thought i was "overtraining" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    So you think that stretches could have prevented the injury or how would you have prevented it?
    Maybe. We're always faced with two different strategies when facing pain: 1) some people say "ignore the pain or you're a wuss", or 2) pain is your body trying to tell you something. You only know the right strategy when you use the wrong one and it bites you in the ass.

The stretches definitely helped towards the end of the recovery, and they helped when I started feeling some pain in the other side. I'm only guessing they might have prevented the injury when I started feeling the original pain.

I'm having the same issue as well, and I'm trying to determine whether to lay off squats for a week or two, or work through the pain and continue squatting.

Mine started about a month ago, also on my left hip adductor. In my case, it was probably cause I was overzealous on adding weight and messing up my form (lesson learnt). I don't feel the pain except when squatting. Usually, after two days, it gets better and I can squat my bodyweight to depth. However, as soon as I load weight on the bar, or if I pause at the bottom of the bodyweight squats, the pain comes back and the cycle repeats.

I'm concerned that the pain is limiting my squat progression, and as such I'm considering whether to take a week off entirely to see whether it helps. But I'm worried that it will do nothing. I'm also not inclined to sacrifice depth to reduce the pain.

I just looked up the starr rehab, but it mentions that it wouldn't work if the issue is with the tendon. Is there any way to tell what the cause of the pain is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Bok View Post
    I'm having the same issue as well, and I'm trying to determine whether to lay off squats for a week or two, or work through the pain and continue squatting.

Mine started about a month ago, also on my left hip adductor. In my case, it was probably cause I was overzealous on adding weight and messing up my form (lesson learnt). I don't feel the pain except when squatting. Usually, after two days, it gets better and I can squat my bodyweight to depth. However, as soon as I load weight on the bar, or if I pause at the bottom of the bodyweight squats, the pain comes back and the cycle repeats.

I'm concerned that the pain is limiting my squat progression, and as such I'm considering whether to take a week off entirely to see whether it helps. But I'm worried that it will do nothing. I'm also not inclined to sacrifice depth to reduce the pain.

I just looked up the starr rehab, but it mentions that it wouldn't work if the issue is with the tendon. Is there any way to tell what the cause of the pain is?
    If you press on the tendon and it hurts, it is tendon pain. If you press into the muscle belly and it hurts, it is the muscle causing the pain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Bok View Post
    You might consider backing off the weight until it causes no pain, but increasing the reps, working your way back up. That might be a semi-starr rehab. During my rehab, I also used that adductor machine at the gym, which seemed to help.

You might also consider stretching the adductor area & rolling it out with a foam roller. Can't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast