starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reoccurring tendinitis in shoulder when benching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yonason,

Concur with everything Dr. D'Agostino has said. Further, I think it may be time for you to consider hiring the services of a coach to help you navigate some of the training variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    Hey Yonason, when a contributor to pain is an impinged nerve, people usually use words like sharp, numb, tingling, shooting, radiating, and electrical to describe their experience. If it is a dull achy pain that is appearing after you lift and lingering, it means you have to alter the program to manage better the fatigue generated in the session.

The idea I'm trying to push you away from is that the pain has an exact "cause" or "source." In cases like this, there is no one source. It is better to think of pain emerging from a bunch of contributing factors. Some of these may include sleep, life stressors, and your beliefs about what pain means. Also, I believe it is better to focus on things you can control, like the above variables and training variables, than things you can't like anatomy. If you want to feel better quickly, you should take action on all of these fronts simultaneously (fishing with a net is more effective than fishing with a pole). What is going on with your biology is just one small piece of the pie. Most of the time, in these types of situations, focusing on what might be the biological contributing factor makes things take longer.

My first suggestion would be to increase the deadlift frequency to once per week. You can still keep the once a month heavy plan. There is a good chance that what you are experiencing may be related to DOMs because the frequency is too low. The repeated bout effect is not protecting you. Also, when you do decide to go heavy, use either a ramp up to a top set or a top set a backoff style of loading. Sets across with a max weight may be generating more fatigue than you can currently quickly recover. As things improve and your training becomes more structured and regular, you can go back to using heavy sets across. I hope some of these suggestions help!
    Dr. D'Agostino - thanks so much for your input and helpfulness. I have read and reread (several times over) your words of wisdom and thought about them thoroughly. I can tell you with 100% certainty that hip pain is not DOMs. It's not in the muscles. It's a sharp pain in the joint. Interestingly, if when sitting in a chair I place my right ankle on my left knee and sit like that for more than five minutes, I will get up limping with a sharp pain in the right hip radiating down the outside of the thigh a bit. I do stretching exercises, and I probably need to do more of that. But the body scan showed inflammation in the right hip joint. And the CT results suggest that the pinched nerve could be a contributor.

When I deadlift heavy, I prepare with 5x60kg, 4x100kg, 3x140kg, 1x180kg, and then I either go for a single at 200kg, and or a few singles or doubles @180kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Yonason,

Concur with everything Dr. D'Agostino has said. Further, I think it may be time for you to consider hiring the services of a coach to help you navigate some of the training variables.
    I think that's an excellent idea. Please message me your rates and a plan. I just began recording exactly my workouts, so in a few weeks I can show you my programming, and I can send videos of my lifts to get your coaching on technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonason Herschlag View Post
    Dr. D'Agostino - thanks so much for your input and helpfulness. I have read and reread (several times over) your words of wisdom and thought about them thoroughly. I can tell you with 100% certainty that hip pain is not DOMs. It's not in the muscles. It's a sharp pain in the joint. Interestingly, if when sitting in a chair I place my right ankle on my left knee and sit like that for more than five minutes, I will get up limping with a sharp pain in the right hip radiating down the outside of the thigh a bit. I do stretching exercises, and I probably need to do more of that. But the body scan showed inflammation in the right hip joint. And the CT results suggest that the pinched nerve could be a contributor.

When I deadlift heavy, I prepare with 5x60kg, 4x100kg, 3x140kg, 1x180kg, and then I either go for a single at 200kg, and or a few singles or doubles @180kg.

I think that's an excellent idea. Please message me your rates and a plan. I just began recording exactly my workouts, so in a few weeks I can show you my programming, and I can send videos of my lifts to get your coaching on technique.
    Yonason,

Please send a private message through here and I will forward you my email address and we can discuss what I can offer. I can also point you towards several other very capable coaches should I not be what you are looking for.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Yonason,

Please send a private message through here and I will forward you my email address and we can discuss what I can offer. I can also point you towards several other very capable coaches should I not be what you are looking for.
    I couldn't find a link to message you. My email address is: herschlag@012.net.il

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123