starting strength gym

Thread: SQUATS

Default SQUATS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im reaching out on this forum to get some advice. So I’ll quickly recap my situation. 3 lumbar surgeries to finally fuse L3-L5. Last surgery was 2010. I’m 45 now and have stayed pretty steady in my exercise activity. Mainly strength training but have swam, circuit course and tried CrossFit once or twice. But have continuously had bouts of all kinds of back symptoms that have driven me back to a spine surgeon to get answers. I’ve been told that I’m cleared hot to do whatever i want. That I’m less likely to need another surgery then someone who hasn’t had one. To recently being told by a different spine surgeon no lower body stuff. But that I don’t need another surgery.

I’ve asked numerous pt’s only to be told they can’t give me advice.

My question is simple. Being that I’ve had multiple surgeries and assuming I can do the squat and deadlift (rack pulls) with pretty decent form. Should I continue to squat and deadlift or switch to alternate exercises for fear that I’m doing more harm than good. I have a daughter I’d like to walk down the aisle at some point. Thank you for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by USMC7212 View Post
    Im reaching out on this forum to get some advice. So I’ll quickly recap my situation. 3 lumbar surgeries to finally fuse L3-L5. Last surgery was 2010. I’m 45 now and have stayed pretty steady in my exercise activity. Mainly strength training but have swam, circuit course and tried CrossFit once or twice. But have continuously had bouts of all kinds of back symptoms that have driven me back to a spine surgeon to get answers. I’ve been told that I’m cleared hot to do whatever i want. That I’m less likely to need another surgery then someone who hasn’t had one. To recently being told by a different spine surgeon no lower body stuff. But that I don’t need another surgery.

I’ve asked numerous pt’s only to be told they can’t give me advice.

My question is simple. Being that I’ve had multiple surgeries and assuming I can do the squat and deadlift (rack pulls) with pretty decent form. Should I continue to squat and deadlift or switch to alternate exercises for fear that I’m doing more harm than good. I have a daughter I’d like to walk down the aisle at some point. Thank you for the help.
    There are very few conditions that would be contraindicated to squatting or deadlifting with proper form. I do not believe your previous history rises to this level.

From personal experience and with those that I’ve coached who have had previous back surgeries, the LBBS, conventional deadlift and, to a lesser degree, the press, done in correct form (as described in the book, rip’s videos and from SSCs) work wonders for a variety of different back problems.

Do the NLP exactly as it is described in the book and I bet you will feel much improved in terms of reduced pain, increased strength and confidence.