starting strength gym

Thread: Training through elbow issues

Default Training through elbow issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My left arm has about 75% rotation range due to a shattered radius at age 12, and my right elbow has severe reoccurring joint pain from some 6 months ago (seemed to be triggered more by grip rather than strain).

All of the above leads to some training limitation, such as inability to preform chin-ups, difficulties with pull-ups and some pain following heavier cleans.

I’ve just discovered you guys a week ago - really fascinated with the SS method and generally with Rip’s take on things (so far listened to all of the SS podcasts back to the one with Nick Delgadillo from July ). Basically I’m looking for ways to train around my injuries and pains more efficiently so any advice from you would be helpful.

Ok, maybe some introduction is in order:
    I’m 39, been training in Muay Thai and Boxing for a little over 3 years up until a year ago. I made a change then, as I felt like I just wasn’t where I wanted to be strength-wise. Since my husband is a long-time cross-fitter, I just headed to his advice and joined the same Box he trains in, while keeping the boxing on slow burn (once, twice a week, mostly hasn’t bag and mitts, occasional sparring here and there).

Up until than my old elbow injury has never bothered me, had no problems at all with boxing (besides the left uppercut, which I had to readjust according to my range of motion).

Ever since I started CrossFit, both my elbows have been periodically in pain and at times made me dysfunctional in my day-to-day.
    Six months ago my right elbow had some sort of an inflammatory spike. I couldn’t work on my computer, cook, hold my son and of course train my upper body. I kept doing only squats and DL as much as I could. All the PTs and doctors I saw kept telling me to rest and stop training and get cortisol shots 🤦🏻*♀️.

Now I’m at a point where I think I can go back to full body training, but i think I’ll put CrossFit on hold and focus on the lifting - after listening to Rip . However I feel like I have lost a ton of strength in my upper body. My lower body could also probably use some serious housekeeping.

This brings me to my next question (not sure it’s the right forum, but since it’s in context of my story I’ll ask it here):
    I really want to use the SS program, however not sure I should start from the Phase 1 novice level, perhaps jump straight to phase 2?....
    my measurements for 3RM from a week ago are:
    Squat - 143
    DL - 188
    Press - 60.5
    BP - 77
    P. Clean - 99
    P. Snatch - 66

I’m 2.06 high, 137.

Should I just start as a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rita K View Post
    My left arm has about 75% rotation range due to a shattered radius at age 12, and my right elbow has severe reoccurring joint pain from some 6 months ago (seemed to be triggered more by grip rather than strain).

All of the above leads to some training limitation, such as inability to preform chin-ups, difficulties with pull-ups and some pain following heavier cleans.

I’ve just discovered you guys a week ago - really fascinated with the SS method and generally with Rip’s take on things (so far listened to all of the SS podcasts back to the one with Nick Delgadillo from July ). Basically I’m looking for ways to train around my injuries and pains more efficiently so any advice from you would be helpful.

Ok, maybe some introduction is in order:
    I’m 39, been training in Muay Thai and Boxing for a little over 3 years up until a year ago. I made a change then, as I felt like I just wasn’t where I wanted to be strength-wise. Since my husband is a long-time cross-fitter, I just headed to his advice and joined the same Box he trains in, while keeping the boxing on slow burn (once, twice a week, mostly hasn’t bag and mitts, occasional sparring here and there).

Up until than my old elbow injury has never bothered me, had no problems at all with boxing (besides the left uppercut, which I had to readjust according to my range of motion).

Ever since I started CrossFit, both my elbows have been periodically in pain and at times made me dysfunctional in my day-to-day.
    Six months ago my right elbow had some sort of an inflammatory spike. I couldn’t work on my computer, cook, hold my son and of course train my upper body. I kept doing only squats and DL as much as I could. All the PTs and doctors I saw kept telling me to rest and stop training and get cortisol shots ����*♀️.

Now I’m at a point where I think I can go back to full body training, but i think I’ll put CrossFit on hold and focus on the lifting - after listening to Rip . However I feel like I have lost a ton of strength in my upper body. My lower body could also probably use some serious housekeeping.

This brings me to my next question (not sure it’s the right forum, but since it’s in context of my story I’ll ask it here):
    I really want to use the SS program, however not sure I should start from the Phase 1 novice level, perhaps jump straight to phase 2?....
    my measurements for 3RM from a week ago are:
    Squat - 143
    DL - 188
    Press - 60.5
    BP - 77
    P. Clean - 99
    P. Snatch - 66

I’m 2.06 high, 137.

Should I just start as a novice?
    A lot to unpack here, but I think it is likely most appropriate to start with the assumption that you are a novice until you prove otherwise.

Great! Then novice it is thank you!

Any thoughts on the elbows stuff? Such as what could be a chin-up substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Rita K View Post
    Great! Then novice it is thank you!

Any thoughts on the elbows stuff? Such as what could be a chin-up substitute?
    You are very welcome.

Start as a novice and just deadlift every workout. Don't worry about chin-ups right now. You may be surprised what some heavy presses and bench presses do for your elbow. I find bench and press to be pretty restorative for cranky elbows.

Sounds good! Already on it, started yesterday.
    Thanks again for your thoughts and the time you take out of your busy schedule to do this forum thing! Im hope you know it’s hugely appreciated.