starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pops when squatting after ACL surgery

Default Knee pops when squatting after ACL surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I tore my ACL and meniscus playing soccer and have since had surgery on my knee and now it feels great. The only problem is every time I go below 90 degrees my knee makes a grinding sound when I come out of it. To squat to correct depth with my hips being below my patella my knee goes just past 90 degrees and makes this grinding sound every time. I feel no pain but it is a very discomforting sound and my doctor said to not go past that point because he said that is the sound of cartilage grinding and wearing down. I want to continue to squat deep and I feel like I can't be making the situation worse if there is no pain associated with it. I just wanted some more opinions or if anyone has had this problem. I want to know if continuing to squat deep could this cause long term damage to my knee.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy5o View Post
    I tore my ACL and meniscus playing soccer and have since had surgery on my knee and now it feels great. The only problem is every time I go below 90 degrees my knee makes a grinding sound when I come out of it. To squat to correct depth with my hips being below my patella my knee goes just past 90 degrees and makes this grinding sound every time. I feel no pain but it is a very discomforting sound and my doctor said to not go past that point because he said that is the sound of cartilage grinding and wearing down. I want to continue to squat deep and I feel like I can't be making the situation worse if there is no pain associated with it. I just wanted some more opinions or if anyone has had this problem. I want to know if continuing to squat deep could this cause long term damage to my knee.
    Thanks
    Popping / grinding without pain is not typically an issue. You already had long term damage to your knee when you had the injury and the surgery. You will most certainly have primary osteoarthritis later in life. Does this mean you shouldn't train? Personally, if this were my knee, I wouldn't fret about it....but, this is a decision that you have to make. No one can say for certain that you are without any risk with squatting, but really no one can say that you are.