starting strength gym

Thread: Random stabbing shoulder pain

Default Random stabbing shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 22 and have been lifting for years. Yesterday (tuesday) I experienced random shoulder pain in my right shoulder. The pain is intermittent with a bout of sharp pain every 10 seconds or so. Monday and tuesday were both rest days so I can't directly relate it to a lift, the pain subsided later in the day.

Today I did bench and there was no pain during it. However, within 10 minutes of leaving the gym the same pain came on again. It's weird because the pain quite severe but I can't trigger it with any movements or lifts.

The pain is slightly radiating but seems to be coming from the AC area. I always make sure to keep my elbows at a 75 degree angle and press with a shrug so I wouldn't know why I would suffer from impingement.

Is this symptom pattern common with a certain injury? I can't readily get an MRI because in my country physical therapy first has to be proven ineffective before you can get an MRI.

Quote Originally Posted by gadsie View Post
    I'm 22 and have been lifting for years. Yesterday (tuesday) I experienced random shoulder pain in my right shoulder. The pain is intermittent with a bout of sharp pain every 10 seconds or so. Monday and tuesday were both rest days so I can't directly relate it to a lift, the pain subsided later in the day.

Today I did bench and there was no pain during it. However, within 10 minutes of leaving the gym the same pain came on again. It's weird because the pain quite severe but I can't trigger it with any movements or lifts.

The pain is slightly radiating but seems to be coming from the AC area. I always make sure to keep my elbows at a 75 degree angle and press with a shrug so I wouldn't know why I would suffer from impingement.

Is this symptom pattern common with a certain injury? I can't readily get an MRI because in my country physical therapy first has to be proven ineffective before you can get an MRI.
    Do you think that intermittent stabbing pain for a day and a half necessitates the consideration of an MRI?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Do you think that intermittent stabbing pain for a day and a half necessitates the consideration of an MRI?
    No, but I have been having some shoulder issues for a while now. Lot of snapping, random pains, and a lateral push against the wall has hurt for some months now. So I know there is something(s) going on but I'm not convinced a physical therapist can pinpoint it (although I will be going).

No, but I have been having some shoulder issues for a while now. Lot of snapping, random pains, and a lateral push against the wall has hurt for some months now. So I know there is something(s) going on but I'm not convinced a physical therapist can pinpoint it (although I will be going).
    The 2005 Josef Moore article out of West Point demonstrated a diagnostic accuracy of Orthopaedic Surgeons compared to MRI of 80%, Physical Therapists were accurate 74%-76% (I can't remember the exact number), and Non-Orthopaedic Providers (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Nurse Practitioners, Physician's Assistants, etc) was in the low 30%. By all means, please denigrate my profession when you have come here looking for me to donate my time and experience into assisting you. Oftentimes, I walk into a coffee shop and tell them how shitty their coffee is, and then proceed to ask them to provide me with free product.

Do you see how you moved the goal posts compared to your original post? Where in your original post did you mention that you have had chronic symptoms? In your original post, you said you have been having pain for two days. Do you think that maybe your time would be better spent posting a video of the lifts in question so competent eyes can see where things may be going wrong?

The 2005 Josef Moore article out of West Point demonstrated a diagnostic accuracy of Orthopaedic Surgeons compared to MRI of 80%, Physical Therapists were accurate 74%-76% (I can't remember the exact number), and Non-Orthopaedic Providers (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Nurse Practitioners, Physician's Assistants, etc) was in the low 30%. By all means, please denigrate my profession when you have come here looking for me to donate my time and experience into assisting you. Oftentimes, I walk into a coffee shop and tell them how shitty their coffee is, and then proceed to ask them to provide me with free product.

Do you see how you moved the goal posts compared to your original post? Where in your original post did you mention that you have had chronic symptoms? In your original post, you said you have been having pain for two days. Do you think that maybe your time would be better spent posting a video of the lifts in question so competent eyes can see where things may be going wrong?
    Apologies, I didn’t mean to denigrate you, I was just questioning if a random physical therapist (probably not active in barbell training like you) would be able to accurately diagnose me or examine an ultrasound. Especially considering I can’t really trigger the pain with a certain movement or any of the classic arm tests. But those stats are reassuring. I greatly appreciate the free advice and will upload a video my next workout.

Clairvoyance is very underrated.

I can't readily get an MRI because in my country physical therapy first has to be proven ineffective before you can get an MRI.
    Do you really think that your national health service has this rule because they want people to suffer more? The reason is that for most people the MRI doesn't add much to a physical exam, and that for everyone with a normal MRI and most people with an abnormal MRI, the treatment is going to be physical therapy. And PT will be based on what you can demonstrate you can do with and without pain, not based on MRI findings. So the MRI is a wast of time and money for most people. You need an MRI if you are headed for surgery, and if you get better with PT you are not headed for surgery. So do the PT first. And a decent PT, even one that doesn't barbell train, will pretty quickly redirect you back to the ortho and the MRI if it's something they can't help with.

Will, is it possible for you to help me fix my form through videos? If so, how much do you charge? I wanted to send you a PM but I don't think this is possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Will, is it possible for you to help me fix my form through videos? If so, how much do you charge? I wanted to send you a PM but I don't think this is possible.
    Gadsie, yes, it certainly is. I work with a lot of people either through online coaching or through online rehabilitation consultations. I’d have to ask you to contact me via email for the particulars.