starting strength gym

Thread: Low back pain on squat -- from press?

Default Low back pain on squat -- from press?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Will,

I have a history of back pain. I had an MRI many years ago that just showed a bulging disc, but I've injured it a few more times since then. Once pretty seriously, and it took about two years to feel right again. I've been focusing on strength this year, and my back has been feeling good. I started to press 2.0 about 2 months ago. My lowback would be sore after doing it, but I thought it was normal. It was feeling kinda weird the last week, and when I was warming up for my squats I felt my back give a little and I felt a familiar, albeit less severe, tightening/spasms in my low back, mainly on the sides.

I think my squats are pretty good, and not the cause of the problem: YouTube

I also think I may have been bending at the back too much rather than the hips on the 2.0s. I tried to fix that today, but I was feeling pretty hesitant and still cautious with my back and just managed 3 reps here: YouTube

My question is what do you think the problem is? If it's the press 2.0, can I resolve it by being more strict about moving the hips and not bending the back, or should I just give it up and return to 1.0?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Hi Will,

I have a history of back pain. I had an MRI many years ago that just showed a bulging disc, but I've injured it a few more times since then. Once pretty seriously, and it took about two years to feel right again. I've been focusing on strength this year, and my back has been feeling good. I started to press 2.0 about 2 months ago. My lowback would be sore after doing it, but I thought it was normal. It was feeling kinda weird the last week, and when I was warming up for my squats I felt my back give a little and I felt a familiar, albeit less severe, tightening/spasms in my low back, mainly on the sides.

I think my squats are pretty good, and not the cause of the problem: YouTube

I also think I may have been bending at the back too much rather than the hips on the 2.0s. I tried to fix that today, but I was feeling pretty hesitant and still cautious with my back and just managed 3 reps here: YouTube

My question is what do you think the problem is? If it's the press 2.0, can I resolve it by being more strict about moving the hips and not bending the back, or should I just give it up and return to 1.0?

Thanks for any advice you have.
    Yeah, I wouldn't say that these are "good" press 2.0. You have very little movement of the hips, the movement is too fast, and you aren't really getting anything out of it. I'd probably have you press strict for the time being (a couple of weeks) and let your back calm down and get you doing the rebound at the bottom as the weights got heavier.

I want you to re-watch the first two reps of your squat and tell me what you see....

Okay I'll switch to 1.0 for now and spend some time trying to figure out the 2.0 with light weight. Thanks.

I think I see it -- I loosen too much at the bottom of the first two squats, with my knees and hips coming forward.

Yessir. There is a lot of knee slide which is going to bring your pelvis forward along with it. Stay tight at the bottom and control the knees. Set them in place about 1/2 way down and keep them there through the rebound at the bottom.