starting strength gym

Thread: Quadriceps Tendinopathy

Default Quadriceps Tendinopathy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Will,

I read what you wrote here about patellar/quadriceps tendonopathy rehab: The SS approach to tendinopathy management

and am trying to implement it but have a question: can knee valgus cause quadriceps tendonitis? I always have knee valgus on heavy reps, and I've had both patellar and quadriceps tendonitis for years, manageable if I lowbar back squat and don't do any cleans/fronts squats etc.

I'm asking because I'm wondering how strict I should be on the rehab squats -- allow a small inwards movement of the knees, or allow absolutely none?

Also I'm using high-bar squats as the rehab to stress the quad tendon more (I need a break from lowbar due to arm/bicep tendonitis problems anyway).

Thanks.

I wouldn't say that valgus causes tendinopathy. I have zero valgus when I squat and I've dealt with this on and off for years. With that said if you can keep your knees out (which it sounds like you can here but you just don't want to?), keep them out. The weight should be light enough if you are using a protocol discussed in that thread for you to have control.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino View Post
    I wouldn't say that valgus causes tendinopathy. I have zero valgus when I squat and I've dealt with this on and off for years. With that said if you can keep your knees out (which it sounds like you can here but you just don't want to?), keep them out. The weight should be light enough if you are using a protocol discussed in that thread for you to have control.
    Well I can keep them out as long as I don't go heavy. Here's the 2nd set today at 170kgx5. I felt a little bit of pain on the first rep, but the remaining reps were pain free. Do these look right? YouTube

My plan is to squat 2x a week and LP the weight each time, slowly increasing speed as I go.

Thanks for your help, Nick.

Your welcome. That sounds like a good plan. This is how I give feedback when I'm working with online clients. I've found it more productive than typing even though it takes longer.

I'll make the depth adjustment. Thanks for the feedback and video -- I can see why you use it, that was very clear.

starting strength coach development program
    Your welcome!