starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Back to day 1 tomorrow. Shoulder has some occasional pain still, but I would say I'm running at 95%. I have also added chins to the mix with no issues.

I love this thread. Please keep it going.

I have my NLP thread going now. I'll post here when there is something to report.

Nothing new is going on. My shoulder feels almost 100% better. It really didnt take much time to fix. I started working out Sept 2nd. 3 1/2 month and I'm 99%.

I am continuing to massage my shoulder with the indexknobber, maybe once a day It's a life saver.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 12-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Here is an update on my shoulder. I'm continuing to get stronger. I'm pressing 130# and benching 197.5#. Both movements are no long effecting any of my shoulder pain. The pain is back at certain times but still 90% better than when I started. I am still able to massage is out.

Believe it or not, it is being triggered by guitar playing. I think some of the pain is coming from the tension of acute movement.

maybe I missed it earlier in the thread,
    but what is your day job, desk and computer ?
    and how are you participating here?
    computer, laptop, phone ?
    and the giitar also,

it all hunches our shoulders forward,
    and cranes our necks forward also,

press, bench, posture,
    press, bench, posture,
    rinse repeat,

my hands go numb,
    I squeeze my shoulder blades back together(squat),
    and it relieves.

Yes, desk job, and quite a bit of driving. I do some manual labor but not enough to talk about.

Back at it after some time off. My last workout included power cleans and may be the culprit of lingering should pain. I'm going to lay off them for a couple of weeks and see what happens. I'll be doubling up on dead lifts and adding more chin ups.

So, Im still at it. Pressing 140#x3x5. Having shoulder pain come and go still. Only the right shoulder.

My 5rm PR is 165#, still have a few week before I'm back there, but shouldnt be an issue.

Anyone have anything to try? I have been doing some hanging but not real consistant.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-14-2020 at 02:22 PM.

I really like this answer, Will!
    Right now I’m suffering shoulder pain. Had an excellent chiropractor friend do an orthopedic exam and rule out all but bursitis. I’m lifting through it with higher volume presses, 5x5 at lower weight (125, off from 160) and its slowly healing. Still worst at nIght. The other day, after a set of presses, I totally exacerbated the pain by stopping short and high from the rack and lowering my arms forward and downward as I racked the bar. Ouch! Right at the location it hurts the most at night.
    I’m wondering if I could have caused the bursitis by improperly racking the bar after pressing?

starting strength coach development program
    Hey bestafter60,

I have seen people hurt themselves/exacerbate an issue before on the last rep of the set by attempting to rack the bar as quickly as possible. On your final rep I would make sure you finish the rep before you start to rack the bar. Don't rush the bar back into the rack before you finish the rep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12