starting strength gym

Thread: Distal head of radius comminuted fracture

Default Distal head of radius comminuted fracture

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Doc,

My girlfriend had this thing surgically repaired a little over 4 weeks ago. She had a plate and six screws put in.

She has very little pain and it usually only presents itself when she tries to extend her wrist. She currently can only actively extend her wrist about 15 degrees or so, but she has normal flexion and grip strength is increasing every day.

Physical therapy starts next Monday, but I was wondering what your opinion would be on when she can start loading this thing? Is she in danger of dislodging any of the equipment in here wrist if she were to start pressing/pulling with that hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Hey Doc,

My girlfriend had this thing surgically repaired a little over 4 weeks ago. She had a plate and six screws put in.

She has very little pain and it usually only presents itself when she tries to extend her wrist. She currently can only actively extend her wrist about 15 degrees or so, but she has normal flexion and grip strength is increasing every day.

Physical therapy starts next Monday, but I was wondering what your opinion would be on when she can start loading this thing? Is she in danger of dislodging any of the equipment in here wrist if she were to start pressing/pulling with that hand?
    Her surgeon will likely want her to wait at least 6 weeks post-operatively before she puts any weight through that arm. I wonder what physical therapy is going to do that a properly implemented strength program wouldn't provide.

I'm a bit reckless when it comes to myself, but I would have loaded that thing as soon as pain was tolerable to the level that I didn't think I'd instinctually drop the bar on myself.

I was thinking the same thing, doc. I mean she has it all held together with a plate so I can’t imagine some light loading would do any harm at this point.

I feel like the average joe PT is probably going to try and scare her into several weeks of wasting time with bands and stretching, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I feel like the average joe PT is probably going to try and scare her into several weeks of wasting time with bands and stretching, etc.
    You bring some weak ass Open Reduction Internal Fixation shit to my clinic, we are loading day 1.

That’s wassup! Thanks doc