starting strength gym

Thread: Spondylosis and 2 herniated discs, 22 years old

Default Spondylosis and 2 herniated discs, 22 years old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. I have managed to destroy my lower back by squatting and deadlifting. I am a 22 year old male, 6’3, ~ 215 lbs. Squats and deadlifts hurt, and I have some pain in my lower back all the time. My physical therapist says that I was most likely born with the spondylosis, and that the herniated discs were caused by too much lifting (I had my form checked several times) and the spondylosis. This happened about 6 months ago.

I was wondering if I am fucked for the rest of my life, in terms of lifting and life quality in general. I was planning on doing sports in the future, will I be able to do this? Tennis mainly. Will the discs heal so that I won’t notice it? Also, I saw on Google that spondylosis can get very bad with time itself?? Am I fucked?

Quote Originally Posted by Katta2010 View Post
    Hello. I have managed to destroy my lower back by squatting and deadliftingPretty alarmist language here. This probably speaks very strongly to your midset.. I am a 22 year old male, 6’3, ~ 215 lbs. Squats and deadlifts hurt, and I have some pain in my lower back all the time. People who squat and deadlift have back pain, just like people who don't squat and deadlift. People who squat and deadlift well, typically don't have back pain like the rest of the world. My physical therapist says that I was most likely born with the spondylosis, and that the herniated discs were caused by too much lifting This is a drastic assumption to be made by a clinician when we see herniated discs and non-specific mechanical low back pain on the majority of people over 20 years old (incidence of low back pain in adults worldwide per year is about 80%)(I had my form checked several times) and the spondylosis. Doesn't mean you do these movements well, but, even then, squats and deadlifts, even performed poorly are not inherently dangerous. This happened about 6 months ago. I'd fully expect you to have persistent pain based off your first statement. If you believe you "destroyed your back", you are going to act like it.

I was wondering if I am fucked for the rest of my life Until you change your mindset, you probably are. , in terms of lifting and life quality in general.Are you willing to accept a lifetime of disability for some back pain at 22 years old? Are you in such poor control of your life that you are ready to go ahead and make that determination? I was planning on doing sports in the future, will I be able to do this? Until you change your thinking, no. Tennis mainly. Will the discs heal so that I won’t notice it? Discs heal well on their own. There is a very robust healing capability, but you won't notice it until you change your mindset. Also, I saw on Google that spondylosis can get very bad with time itself?? Am I fucked?Refer to most of my other statements.
    As above.

I fucked up my back when I was in my early twenties and I was around your size. Severe L5S1 herniation accompanied by really bad sciatica. my left foot was numb and then tingling in the right.

Couldn’t sleep for shit and I was Depressed, withering and just being a little bitch in general out of the same fear you’re experiencing and life goals being crushed, etc.

Got surgery in 2011, i believe it was. Still in a lot of pain after and i kept injuring my back lifting shit out in the world and doing silly shit in the gym. 4 years ago I watched several rippetoe videos on the main lifts because i felt the need to stop avoiding getting strong because i was scared to squat, press and deadlift. And then I bought the blue book and did the NLP. Guess what happened? My back got better and stronger and I wasn’t fucking scared anymore.

Back injuries happen whether you train or not -They happen less if you train properly and get strong. Post form checks, keep training and stop worrying so much.

If I knew this back then I would have never got the surgery. Bet.

Thanks for the reply. This kind of injury is not your average injury for a 22 year old, right? Most likely it is something I will have to manage for the rest of my life?

It's perfectly common. Your reaction to it is not as common. The belief that you now have to "manage for the rest of your life" is what is going to cause you to be in pain for the rest of your life. You have already set that expectation, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Heed my warning, young one. Shy away from activity and training because of some back pain, and Mother Nature will unleash her fury upon you.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a bad back at 18. I'm 46 and lifting weights. Stronger feels better than weaker. I haven't had but only an occasional back pain since I started squats and deadlifts. When my back hurts I squat anyways and it usually makes it go away.

I have lots of stories about back pain before I started lifting. Little sleep, sciatica, numbing pain. Not able to do hard work without paying a price. I'm about 3 years into a pretty dedicated routine and I've 99% cured my back problem.

Your results may differ.