starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifts and Squats After Hernia Repair

Default Deadlifts and Squats After Hernia Repair

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A few months back I had belly-button hernia repair surgery. There was no need for a mesh and the surgeon said the surgery was a success.
    Is it safe for me to do deadlifts and squats now?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hardesty View Post
    A few months back I had belly-button hernia repair surgery. There was no need for a mesh and the surgeon said the surgery was a success.
    Is it safe for me to do deadlifts and squats now?
    Has your surgeon cleared you for all activities?

Yes, but he said these types of surgeries can be "un-done" and come back to see him if I had any more problems which have been none. The surgery was relatively routine but of course I don't want to go through that again.
    I also wonder what kinds of exercises will strengthen this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hardesty View Post
    Yes, but he said these types of surgeries can be "un-done" and come back to see him if I had any more problems which have been none. The surgery was relatively routine but of course I don't want to go through that again.
    I also wonder what kinds of exercises will strengthen this area.
    As far as I know, once you have had a hernia repair, you are always more likely to have another hernia. That said, you are at an increased risk of hernia from every mundane, activity of daily living, as well. Coughing, sneezing, straining on the toilet, can all cause them, as can just being obese.

If I noodle through the mechanism here, I'd infer that your abdominal musculature will adapt to the increase in pressure from a Valsalva much in the same way other muscles in the body adapt to repetitive stress. For what it is worth, if I had previously had an umbilical hernia repair, I would still train without any trepidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    As far as I know, once you have had a hernia repair, you are always more likely to have another hernia. That said, you are at an increased risk of hernia from every mundane, activity of daily living, as well. Coughing, sneezing, straining on the toilet, can all cause them, as can just being obese.

If I noodle through the mechanism here, I'd infer that your abdominal musculature will adapt to the increase in pressure from a Valsalva much in the same way other muscles in the body adapt to repetitive stress. For what it is worth, if I had previously had an umbilical hernia repair, I would still train without any trepidation.
    Thanks for the advice! I am going to do the compound exercises--just be very careful. At age 66 I do not need to set any records. I just want to be strong and not hurt myself.

I have checked online re a question I have on this topic but didn’t find anything substantive.

So I’ll ask here...at what point does the “literature” suggest we actually do anything about a hernia? I’ve had what is clearly an umbilical hernia for a few years. Every now and then, it’ll be tender. Otherwise, I don’t even remember it’s there.

Curious on this too... I’ve been an “innie” all my life until the last ~6 months... now I’m an “outie”. No apparent impact to training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_tiger View Post
    Curious on this too... I’ve been an “innie” all my life until the last ~6 months... now I’m an “outie”. No apparent impact to training.
    Had this happen to me about 8 years ago. I remember what I was doing too... I was teasing my puppy while lying on the floor. I reached for her and felt tearing. That’s my heroic hernia story. Innie became an outie that day. Doc said he wasn’t concerned about it and I barely notice it’s there. Sometimes if I have my weightlifting belt cinched down tight it’ll be a bit tender but otherwise I don’t know it’s there.