starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not really an injury but stiff and sore all the time

Default Not really an injury but stiff and sore all the time

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 63, 5'8, 190. Squat 285, DL 325. I’ve been training for a decade or so. I'm lifting twice a week, Andy Baker and Sullivans program for the elderly but not quite dead. DL 1x5 once a week and a 2x5 light squat, Heavy Squat once a week for a set of 5. I sleep well and eat well. Fine while lifting, a little stiff the next day, and by day 2, really stiff and sore.

Last 10 days I was on vacation, spent a week at a place with a hotel gym that had typical hotel gym stuff. No where to train. They had one barbell with 35lb bumpers and a 35lb bar. So I did several crossfit-like 10-15 minute HIIT workouts (high reps, obviously low weights) and low and behold, no soreness or stiffness. So I guess my question is, WTF? I want to keep getting stronger, but I don't quite get why this is such a constant.

For what its worth, I'm a little less than a year from an MI, so I'm taking a statin, blood thinner and beta-blocker.

I'm 65 and bigger but not stronger.

Are you doing something low carb?
    Against the advice in the books and this board etc, I was keto for a long time.

For me the soreness was "masked" by the fact that I was so bad when I started that this new soreness was less than the "old" soreness associated with sarcopenia.

Finally, I was convinced to better balance my macros and suddenly I felt (and lifted) much better. Should have learned this lesson sooner!

Possibly reduce reps:

I had not been recovering. I saw this video, and have gone to lower reps per set. It helped.

Quote Originally Posted by mbdonner View Post
    I'm 63, 5'8, 190. Squat 285, DL 325. I’ve been training for a decade or so. I'm lifting twice a week, Andy Baker and Sullivans program for the elderly but not quite dead. DL 1x5 once a week and a 2x5 light squat, Heavy Squat once a week for a set of 5. I sleep well and eat well. Fine while lifting, a little stiff the next day, and by day 2, really stiff and sore.

Last 10 days I was on vacation, spent a week at a place with a hotel gym that had typical hotel gym stuff. No where to train. They had one barbell with 35lb bumpers and a 35lb bar. So I did several crossfit-like 10-15 minute HIIT workouts (high reps, obviously low weights) and low and behold, no soreness or stiffness. So I guess my question is, WTF? I want to keep getting stronger, but I don't quite get why this is such a constant.

For what its worth, I'm a little less than a year from an MI, so I'm taking a statin, blood thinner and beta-blocker.
    STATIN...jumps off the screen. I’m not one to recommend supplements often, but CoQ10 at 400mg per day (2 x 200mg soft gels am and pm) was the difference in me taking a statin vs not being able to do so. Horrific pain in quad tendons and general muscular aches prior to taking it. I couldn’t drive my car further than about 10 miles before having to get out and stretch out my knees.

One other thought...what’s your testosterone level? Do ya know?

I’m speaking from personal experience having had a MI in 2015. Let circumflex artery occlusion. 50% LAD occlusion so I’m motivated to keep it from becoming any more stenotic. Three stents now and doing great.

Hope it helps

I started having the same issues a few months back, then hired Andy Baker to sort out my programme and diet. I'm 59 5'8" and weigh 170lbs currently squatting 260 and DL 365 However, I'm doing one heavy singles for those numbers, building up to a single heavy triple. The rest of the work is sub-maximal barbell lifts with up to 6 sets of 3 reps dynamic, pause squats, dumbbell work and some assistance exercise. I train 4 times a week. I've only been lifting two years. I've lost 10lbs on the programme starting at 180lbs, but my strength has increased and I'm not as beat up as I was when trying to programme myself. I have to eat a lot of protein, very little fat and some carbs.

Do yourself a favour and hire an SS coach. Take it from one who was very reluctant to get a coach, who thought it too expensive and that I could manage myself-it's worth every penny.

Thanks! I’ll give the CoQ10 a try.

Try the tablets, waste some time and a few dollars, then, when that doesn't work, get serious about proper programming, technique, rest and diet.

Thanks. Good suggestion. Coaching never hurt anyone. I did one consultation with Andy and it was very helpful. I don’t know why I didn't think of doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Try the tablets, waste some time and a few dollars, then, when that doesn't work, get serious about proper programming, technique, rest and diet.
    Assuming you know absolutely zero about statins, heart disease etc with that comment. How would you then treat someone who takes a statin and is dealing with symptoms consistent with statin induced myalgias given you feel trying CoQ10 a waste of time? Curious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    Assuming you know absolutely zero about statins, heart disease etc with that comment. How would you then treat someone who takes a statin and is dealing with symptoms consistent with statin induced myalgias given you feel trying CoQ10 a waste of time? Curious to know.
    Perhaps you could educate the thread participants. I feel like I know quite a bit about statins compared to the average person, but I am open to learn.

starting strength coach development program
    mbdonner, are you taking creatine right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast